production reds

ThePRfan

Songster
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
First ill start ff saying,a production red is not a RIR,just lihter colored.
It is bred with the NHR(Newhampshire red),and RIR.

They are aggressive,mostly towards other birds.My PRs are very docile,and great layers.

They are aggressive,mostly towards other birds.My PRs are very docile,and great layers.

The original Production Reds were RIR X NHR cross. Most of the ones sold by hatcheries today are simply PR X PR, but no matter which combination of red gene chickens is used for breeding them (RIR, NHR, or PR), all Production Reds are red gene roosters X red gene hens and will produce red gene offspring (unlike sex links which will not breed true).

First there is no such breed as a New Hampshire Red, The breed is a New Hampshire (NO RED).
Second The Production Red is not a breed.

A true Rhode Island Red bred to a New Hampshire is just a back cross not a Production Red since the New Hampshire was bred solely from the Rhode Island Red.

The original Production Red was a egg production version of a Rhode Island Red bred solely from a Rhode Island Red later on some Leghorn blood was added to increase egg production.
Today there are may crosses that are know as a Production Red and it seems that every hatchery has there own cross that they call a "Production Red"

I know that there are a few hatcheries that say that there Rhode Island Red/ New Hampshire's are a "Production Red" but that's all talk just like them saying they sell Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire's.

Im pretty sure its NHR.

I know the rir and nhr make the PR.Yeah they were said to be rirs,but arent.

First there is no such breed as a New Hampshire Red, The breed is a New Hampshire (NO RED).
Second The Production Red is not a breed.

A true Rhode Island Red bred to a New Hampshire is just a back cross not a Production Red since the New Hampshire was bred solely from the Rhode Island Red.

The original Production Red was a egg production version of a Rhode Island Red bred solely from a Rhode Island Red later on some Leghorn blood was added to increase egg production.
Today there are may crosses that are know as a Production Red and it seems that every hatchery has there own cross that they call a "Production Red"

I know that there are a few hatcheries that say that there Rhode Island Red/ New Hampshire's are a "Production Red" but that's all talk just like them saying they sell Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire's.
Thanks for setting thing right Chris 09

Many years ago, when New Hampshires were developed there was a debate as to how this new breed would be named. To eliminate any confusion the Rhode Island Red folks did not want the term "red" used in the New Hamp name. The RIR breeders got their way. Many folks call them New Hampshire Reds but the official breed name is just New Hampshire. If New Hamps came in multiple varieties I could understand saying "red" but since red is their only variety. Its like any other statement that is said/heard enough times it becomes the truth even when false. I'm sure people will continue to call them New Hampshire Reds no matter what.

Im pretty sure its NHR.

Nope your wrong, You need to learn your breeds. The breed name is a New Hampshire.
Check out the American Poultry Association and or get a Standard of Perfection.
http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/

Also as I said before a Rhode Island Red/ New Hampshire cross is nothing but a backcross.
I have spent over 20 years researching the Rhode Island Red breed and in doing so I spent a lot of time reading about New Hampshire's, Production Reds and what makes up the breeds.
Just because a hatcheries and a handful of websites state something doesn't make it the truth.

Now if you have a website that can back you up I would be happy to read it.
But just a note IF they use the incorrect term, "New Hampshire Red" I will leave the site and state that they have no idea what there talking about and they did not do the correct research....

We just call NH's those "Orange birds".
big_smile.png

Im pretty sure its NHR.

Nope your wrong, You need to learn your breeds. The breed name is a New Hampshire.
Check out the American Poultry Association and or get a Standard of Perfection.
http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/

Also as I said before a Rhode Island Red/ New Hampshire cross is nothing but a backcross.
I have spent over 20 years researching the Rhode Island Red breed and in doing so I spent a lot of time reading about New Hampshire's, Production Reds and what makes up the breeds.
Just because a hatcheries and a handful of websites state something doesn't make it the truth.  

Now if you have a website that can back you up I would be happy to read it.
But just a note IF they use the incorrect term, "New Hampshire Red" I will leave the site and state that they have no idea what there talking about and they did not do the correct research....

So nhr and rir dont make the pr?

Thanks for setting thing right Chris 09

Many years ago, when New Hampshires were developed there was a debate as to how this new breed would be named. To eliminate any confusion the Rhode Island Red folks did not want the term "red" used in the New Hamp name. The RIR breeders got their way. Many folks call them New Hampshire Reds but the official breed name is just New Hampshire. If New Hamps came in multiple varieties I could understand saying "red" but since red is their only variety. Its like any other statement that is said/heard enough times it becomes the truth even when false. I'm sure people will continue to call them New Hampshire Reds no matter what.
Your Welcome,
It's kind of like people thinking that the Rhode Island Red and the Rhode Island White are the same breed or how people think that there is such a breed as a single comb Rhode Island White.

As for why there is no "Red" in the New Hampshire breed name. Well that has to do with the true breed name of the Rhode Island Red, Rhode Island is the place of origin and the breed name just so happens to be Red. Also after a lot of fighting, court, and the APA stepping up no other breed of chicken can have Red in there breed name and entered into the Standard of Perfection (SoP).

After this there would also never be a breed with White in its name entered into the SoP either.
Rhode Island place of origin White breed name.

Back
Top Bottom