Productivity of Black Copper Marans?

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
I am considering getting a bc marans or Barnvelder roo to cover my EE and make Olive Eggers. I read that the Barnvelders only lay about 3 eggs a week, which is not very much. How many do the BC Marans lay? I want to breed a bird that will lay lots of pretty eggs.

Wish I could help you.

I have an EE that lays 2 to 3 times a week and a 9 month old Ameraucana that has yet to lay an egg!

Quote:
Wow. My EE hens lay about 5 eggs a week per hen. Sounds like you got some duds. Sorry.

Pretty horse you've got there.
love.gif

The dark egg layers have the reputation of laying fewer eggs. The darker eggs tend to take longer to lay......more time getting more dark coating. My darkest egg layers lay every other day at best.

I know it won't do olive eggs ...how about crossing to a leghorn? Ought to give lots of pastel coloured eggs.

My Welsummer pullet lays almost every day, five nice dark eggs a week. My EEs lay very large green & bluish-green eggs almost every day--they very rarely skip a day. My Ameracaunas lay a blue egg, again, almost every day.
I am crossing my Welsummer roo on the EEs to get a dark olive green egg.

CB Marans are not super productive. In my flock, some days there are a good number of eggs, some days just a couple. They are not reliable layers like the EE.

I just sold my Barnevelder pair. Like the Marans, they are not great layers. She would lay an egg once every few days.

Hope this helps.

I have a BC Marans x Ameraucana that lays pretty olive eggs every day. She started at 6 months, and I don't think she's missed a day in two months so far.
hu.gif

Quote:
Welsummers seem to be the general consensus for good dark egg production. Unfortunately, my friend has Barnvelder and BC Marans roos he is giving away. My EE girls lay pretty well, but I wouldn't want to decrease their production at all. I think I will stick with my EEXBO roo. Being half EE, and being crossed back to full EE's, the offspring would I think have a better chance of being better layers,while still laying pretty eggs (though not olive eggs). Thanks for all the input, guys!!

I have an adult trio from a local breeder here in Indiana, Betty Jo Aldrich henpecked Hatchery.
These are non feathered legged CB Marans.
My two girls lay every bit of 4 to 5 eggs a week.
And this can vary from breeder to breeder.

Back
Top Bottom