Products from cloned animals

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChickieBooBoo, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I was talking with someone from the UK who told me that meat and milk from cloned animals was legal to sell in North America. I was not aware of this, is it true?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Why wouldn't it be?

Clones are exact duplicates of their sources.

3. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    i hope not [​IMG]

that seems pretty wrong and who knows what kind of side effects that might have.... to some it may seem like meat is meat and milk is milk, but don't some of these cloned animals have major defects like early death, obesity, immune deficiency....? i don't wanna eat that crap! what's wrong with letting animals do things the old fashioned way? [​IMG] wouldn't it be cheaper?.....

don't get me wrong, i'm very scientific minded, but the more i learn about GMO's and cloned animals the less i agree with them. there's a reason for genetic variation- nobody's perfect lol. that's what's beautiful about living creatures: our differences and the traits that might change a species from one generation to the next. IMO the only thing cloning is good for is trying to bring back endangered species.... and that's iffy.

but to answer your question, i doubt we are being fed cloned meat/milk, that would cause a huge uproar in my parts by treehuggers and religious radicals alike (and i think cloned animals are still too expensive to sell for 1.99/pound!)

HOWEVER, i wouldn't be surprised if we were being fed cloned meat but we weren't aware cuz of government cover-ups!

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
  5. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    this was from the FDA link

Quote:

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can pretty much guarantee that everyone here has probably eaten a cloned product today! Almost all fruits and veggies that we eat are clones. Most people don't realize this.

I think there is still a lot of testing that needs to be done before cloned animal products are put out on the widespread market, but in the near future I don't think there will be any issues with consuming clone products.

7. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:I didnt think cloned animal products were on the market either... yet anyways

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Eh..I'm not worried about this. No reason to be...

9. crazyaboutchickens

crazyaboutchickens Live Long And Prosper

Apr 10, 2010
    Nowhere/Everywhere
    Quote:[​IMG] My thoughts exactly!

10. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    I dicussed this with my Uncle, I thought it was another one of his crackpot theories. Come to find out many people believe this, I actually found a bumper sticker that says, 'Unlabled Cloned Beef. It's whats for dinner.' I guess it does make sense, 90,000 cattle are slaughtered per day on the lower end of the spectrum and it takes 2 years for cattle to reach market weight even on corn. It leads to the question as to where are they finding all these animals? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by