Products that help with odor control and safe for ducks?

Twhi7

Songster
Feb 9, 2021
Hi, I’m a new duck owner to 5 khaki Campbell’s (they are a year old) and will probably be asking a lot of questions on here 😂
I was wondering if there is a product that I could use to help control odor that is also safe if the ducks ingest it. They have only been here 3 days and there is poop everywhere (honestly a bit more than I was expecting). How can I manage this? They have a 6x13 foot pen filled with pea gravel that gets sprayed down often, their house has pine pelletized bedding, and they have access to a decent size yard with grass most of the day. The grass is already pretty smelly since they poop so much. I was able to scoop some of it up and put it in my compost but that was pretty tedious to be doing all the time. Any advice? What do you do? It also doesn’t help that I live in WA and we get plenty of rain.

I was reading about this product:

Manna Pro Sweet PDZ Horse Stall Refresher Granular​

does anyone have experience with it? Is it safe if ingested? Could I just sprinkle it in the grass?

I don’t really care about the smell but I have neighbors close by and want to be as respectful as possible.

Thanks in advance!

I just started using that today. The Chickenchick uses that but brands her own product. I just got a 25lb bag for less than $10 at Tractor Supply. I will let you know about smell tomorrow. But it’s suppose to be safe if they eat it. I wish I didn’t get ducks. I have 4 ducks - so messy. They are cute though. I have 5 hens and 1 rooster (he was supposed to be a hen)

I just started using that today. The Chickenchick uses that but brands her own product. I just got a 25lb bag for less than $10 at Tractor Supply. I will let you know about smell tomorrow. But it’s suppose to be safe if they eat it. I wish I didn’t get ducks. I have 4 ducks - so messy. They are cute though. I have 5 hens and 1 rooster (he was supposed to be a hen)
I’d love if you could let me know how it works!

They are messy for sure! I have never owned chickens either so not sure how they compare. But I love my new ducks. they are really sweet and lots of fun - I just need to work on finding solutions for smelliness! Also if I could find a solution for the loud quacking when I first enter their area that would be great 😂 but other than that they are pretty quiet which I’m thankful for for my neighbors’ sake.

thank you!

Hi, I’m a new duck owner to 5 khaki Campbell’s (they are a year old) and will probably be asking a lot of questions on here 😂
I was wondering if there is a product that I could use to help control odor that is also safe if the ducks ingest it. They have only been here 3 days and there is poop everywhere (honestly a bit more than I was expecting). How can I manage this? They have a 6x13 foot pen filled with pea gravel that gets sprayed down often, their house has pine pelletized bedding, and they have access to a decent size yard with grass most of the day. The grass is already pretty smelly since they poop so much. I was able to scoop some of it up and put it in my compost but that was pretty tedious to be doing all the time. Any advice? What do you do? It also doesn’t help that I live in WA and we get plenty of rain.

I was reading about this product:

Manna Pro Sweet PDZ Horse Stall Refresher Granular​

does anyone have experience with it? Is it safe if ingested? Could I just sprinkle it in the grass?

I don’t really care about the smell but I have neighbors close by and want to be as respectful as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Hi fellow WA duck friend! I am also new to this duck thing, but mine have one more week until they head outside, so I am glad to have this topic to read about. I live near neighbors that we did warn we have 4 ducks that will be housed in the backyard, but I too want to keep my neighbors happy.

Ducks mess up everything they come in contact with. If you cannot hose it down then it is going to stink. If they are messing up your grass then you are lucky so far. Give them time and they will eat all the grass and leave the ground bare with droppings. If given a pond with a long enough bank they spread their out destruction and it becomes manageable.

I don't have ducks, but Sweet PDZ is fantastic for keeping down poop smell in my chicken coop! You can also buy plain granulated zeolite, it's the same thing.
That’s great to hear! I assume it’s also fine to sprinkle in the grass?

Inside my coop I use deep bedding of pine shavings. and about every 2 weeks I sprinkle baking soda over the bedding after I clean out all the wet poop which I do daily. I mix it in real good and have never had any problems using it around my birds [chickens ducks and geese] Outside the hose is my best friend.

Back
Top Bottom