Profitable ornamental breeds in regards to a small scale operation~

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GabrielBane, Sep 26, 2016.

1. GabrielBane

GabrielBane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Hello again folks! (I feel like I've been posting all over the place recently!)

So, I've been discussing with SO about breeds, he surprised me with the promise that as soon as our coops are up, he wanted to purchase Ayam Cemani's for me (A half dozen from FLF), with the intent of giving me breeding projects that could be lucrative in terms of selling chicks, hatching eggs and started adults to other enthusiasts, back yard farmers, FFA exhibitors, etcetcetc.

We chose Cemani's for their distinctive appearance and what we thought was a high-demand for them, however, upon further research, it seems that maybe going all out on the FLF Cemani's would not prove to be as profitable as we thought, since I know now there are several well-established lines and are much more readily available. (Not to say they aren't still pricey babies!)

In 2010,2011,2012 when I was exhibiting birds at FFA/APA shows, it seemed that Certain Orpington Varieties (I want to say at the time, we had JUST begun importing Jubilee and GOOD Quality Lavenders into the US), Showgirls and Legbars were selling for HUNDREDS of dollars per started bird, with chicks being pretty hefty in price for un-sexed babies.

Of course, I love all chickens equally, I'd be happy with a run-of-the-mill barnyard mix, but my SO wants this special project to be lucrative, and while he's not giving me any restrictions, I'd like to re-pay the generousity of his investment by making sure it had a pretty nice return, even if it doesn't actually turn an actual "profit" (Let's be real though, with poultry can you ever expect to turn a profit?)

I suppose, long story short, my question is, in 2016, if you had to say there were certain breeding/import projects you HAD to get in on before they go "mainstream", which would they be, and why? :)

ETA: We are also raising dual purpose birds as part of our small farm's actual production revenue, these birds would completely be for my personal breeding/selling purposes~

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. GabrielBane

Sep 20, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Whoops, just clarifying I said Jubilee Orpingtons, I had a sudden realization I actually meant Millie Fleur Orpingtons. :p

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd look into some of the newly imported Lavender Wyandottes. Or about any kind of English Orpingtons.

4. GabrielBane

Sep 20, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I was looking at those Lavender's from GFF, however, I've always had a weird qualm about keeping lighter colored chooks, I always feel like they get dirty lookin'. I'll have to look into finding some good quality Orpingtons and seeing what varieties lie out there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by