Prognosis for coccidiosis caught early?

It_is_I_Rae

Songster
Oct 30, 2019
I just discovered today that all 4 of my 10 week old pullets all have coccidiosis. No symptoms other than bloody diarrhea. None of them seem sick otherwise except my olive egger pullet is acting a little bit lethargic and sleepy but she and all the rest are still eating and drinking fine. I just started them and my adult birds on 20% Corid powder in their water(1.5 tsp a gallon) and they eat medicated starter feed. What's the prognosis? I think I caught it early.

Also I am not going to be able to clean out the coop today but I plan to do it tomorrow or this weekend. What should I sanitize the coop with and how should I dispose of the old bedding? I usually just throw it out on the ground and it turns into soil. I hear sunlight kills coccidiosis, would it be a bad idea to dump it in an area that gets a lot of direct sunlight or is that a myth?

Medicated chick starter isn’t guaranteed to block all infestations. It has only a minimal amount to ward of lighter infestations. I don’t mess with it anymore since I have many wild birds and coccidia is a fact of life for my chicks. I feed Purina Flock Raiser and add Corid to their water for three weeks. Keep an eye on their poop to be sure they are clear. Coccidia will kill chicks if not treated right away but it sounds like you are treating them in time. Best wishes with them 🙏

Also I am not going to be able to clean out the coop today but I plan to do it tomorrow or this weekend. What should I sanitize the coop with and how should I dispose of the old bedding? I usually just throw it out on the ground and it turns into soil. I hear sunlight kills coccidiosis, would it be a bad idea to dump it in an area that gets a lot of direct sunlight or is that a myth?
It will stay in your soil for a year or so. Best thing to do is bag the old bedding and toss it with the other garbage. Clean out the coop as best you can. I prefer a torch because fire will kill it and many other undesirable things but was ridiculed on this site once for recommending it. Once they are five weeks old they are out of the danger zone as long as they have been treated successfully so you won’t see it in these chickens again unless something else causes a secondary outbreak.

Back
Top Bottom