Progress on my first coop build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tbakko, Aug 13, 2013.

1. tbakko

tbakko Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    My first attempt at building a functional chicken coop [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The girls front door

[​IMG]
    There will be an access door here in the back

[​IMG]
    Nesting boxes are 15"W x 15"L x 18"H

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The roost with a vinyl tile floor

[​IMG]
    Clean out trap door

As I said, this is my first build, I had no plans to go by other than what I had in my head (that's a scary thought). I would appreciate any advice and ideas from those of you that know what they are doing.

2. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Nice coop! Just one question. Why do you have the shelf under the roosts at an angle? If you made it horizontal you could put pdz or sand on it and make cleaning so much easier.

3. tbakko

Aug 6, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    I thought if I put it at an angle then the chickens wouldn't roost on it and I made it so I can just lift it out to clean, was my thinking wrong?

4. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    i doubt the chickens would roost on it. They prefer the highest spots. What you have is not wrong, but for me having a horizontal surface with pdz has completely made my life so much easier. I scoop every other day under the roosts for 5 minutes max and the majority of the poo is gone out of the coop. No need to scrub and no smells whatsoever.

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Fantastic Job!! It is adorable!! I am envious of your carpentry skills.

Looks like the roosting bars are the highest spots in the coop. The vinyl flooring is under the roosts. I have seen lots of coops with the ladder type roosts and they seem to work fine. You will have to post updates to see how it works out.

Again, Incredible Job!!!

6. tbakko

Aug 6, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    I can see what you are talking about & I think I will make the change, thanks for the advice [​IMG]

7. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I like it...it looks cozy! My question is about ventilation and light. Will you be installing vents of any kind to help with ammonia? I'd also suggest a side with a window -prefab or made by you - to help encourage that all important egg laying. One of my girls favorite spots to roost happens to be by the window, strangely enough.

8. WengWeng

WengWeng Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    wow impressive wish I seen this before I built my coop. how much did tgis cost to make what are you going to use for cladding? love the trap door idea. thats awesome. will this fall into a bucket or just straight onto the ground?

9. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    Wonderful job.

10. powvachicks

powvachicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    I love the vinyl! Great idea! That's something I will have to add to my coop! It will save me so much time! Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by