Progress?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I got my budgie Piper and within days had him perching on my finger despite him having little to no human contact prior to my ownership.
I got him a friend [Scout] and Scout was also very un-socialized and untamed. With Scout's hesitancy Piper has stopped allowing the presence of my hand and finger-perch.

Progress has been lost.
But I am not discouraged. I find that they are more agreeable when soft music is playing.

Today, while I was holding my hand by/in the cage, Scout came over and stepped on my finger, then brought his other leg over and perched. This lasted all of three seconds before both Scout and Piper skedaddled to the other side of the cage.
I allowed my hand to linger before slowly withdrawing.

I hope this is progress. I will remain patient and persistent and hopeful.

For now, the dilemma. Is two better than one? One is clearly easier to work with.But with two, I like to think they'll be happier.

Two is generally happier than one but more difficult to socialize. It's a catch 22.

I understand and agree. But there has actually been a nice development since I posted this!
I now have both Piper and Scout allowing the presence of my hands. I can gently stroke their feet and chests, and both have perched on my finger without rushing to vacate my finger-perch.
If I keep working with them, I imagine a bright future of them being allowed out of the cage for fun exploration and flight.

Last edited:
I got my budgie Piper and within days had him perching on my finger despite him having little to no human contact prior to my ownership.
I got him a friend [Scout] and Scout was also very un-socialized and untamed. With Scout's hesitancy Piper has stopped allowing the presence of my hand and finger-perch.

Progress has been lost.
But I am not discouraged. I find that they are more agreeable when soft music is playing.

Today, while I was holding my hand by/in the cage, Scout came over and stepped on my finger, then brought his other leg over and perched. This lasted all of three seconds before both Scout and Piper skedaddled to the other side of the cage.
I allowed my hand to linger before slowly withdrawing.

I hope this is progress. I will remain patient and persistent and hopeful.

For now, the dilemma. Is two better than one? One is clearly easier to work with.But with two, I like to think they'll be happier.

I used music to win over my cockatiels. I would play my ukulele while they sing and dance along.

Back
Top Bottom