Progressive duckling hatching pictures posted to my blog...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Sep 7, 2009.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    For those of you interested, I've posted additional pics of my current (ongoing) hatch to my blog. Includes the story of Shining Pearl, my little crushed egg duckling:

http://heatherhead.wordpress.com

2. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Great pics! Is last next-to-last pic a green duck? or is it just the pic itself?

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you!

Must just be the pic--no green ducks. [​IMG] I've got blues, though! And blacks, and one little yellow one...

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Love ducks pics! [​IMG] Surprisingly, I just have the RIR chickens, for now. I'm gonna take the plunge for ducks at some point. But, I have a coop to finish, a 3yr old green-broke gelding to finish, and messy house--you get the picture! [​IMG]

5. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    OK, i have to ask...you might have this somewhere on your webpage but I didn't see it. What temp and humidity did you incubate those eggs at? I'm about to set my first duck eggs (arrived yesterday) and I want to get it right. Could use a little guidance.

LOVED the pics of the air cells, that's SO cool.

thanks!

6. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, guys!!!! I incubated at 99.5 fahrenheit and 50% humidity (roughly) until the last few days, at which point I got the humidity up to around 80% and couldn't get it higher. My hatch rate was 69%.

Everyone's experiences are different, and every duck hatching site has a different set of instructions, so I just did the best I could, and that worked decently for me.

I'm going to work on getting my hatch rates higher, but I also set some eggs that normally I wouldn't have (too porous, too small, etc.) because I only have two laying hens right now, so it was a struggle collecting enough eggs to make it worthwhile.

Good luck with the duck egg incubation. Lots of folks here can hold your hand, so don't be shy about posting questions!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by