Progressively thinner shell, to no shell at all

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AVF, Apr 27, 2012.

1. AVF

AVF In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Lafayette, CA
    Hi -
    We have 6 hens. They are all just over a year old. We are getting between 4 and 6 eggs a day. This week started with a paper-shelled egg under the roost in the coop from one hen. The next day, there was an egg in the nexting box, with either a paper shell or none at all (it was broken). There was also a big poop in teh box which is unusual. Yesterday one hen was in the nesting box a 6 pm at night (our ladies all generally lay before 2 in the afternoon). This morning I found a shell-less egg in that nesting box (and another poop). I'm pretty sure these are all from the same hen (a Rhode Island Red). She othewise seem OK.

They all get regular organic layer feed, free range for about 2 hours a day in the garden, and have a supply of oyster shell in the coop.

The 2nd day of the strange egg, I figured I'd ride it out and tried to cinvince myself that it was just a hiccup in her system. Of course today I am really concerned.... I don't know if anyone else has experienced shell-less eggs multiple days in a row. We've had them on occaision, but never 3 days in a row. Not sure if there is anything I can/should do - but if there is something I should do to help her start laying again, please let me know. Thanks!

2. raro

raro In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a red sex-link that does that. I was cheated because I was clueless and the local farmer could get away with telling me she was 20 weeks old. She was actually several years old and has started menopause. I don't know if that's the case with your girl, but mine lay really thin, sometimes shell-less eggs, or weird shaped ones, etc. Could your hens be actually older than you think? Just a thought.

3. AVF

AVF In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Lafayette, CA
    Hi Raro -

I don't think that is is since we've had them since they were chicks. Pretty confident that they are a year and 2 months old. Thanks for the idea though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: