Project bird color....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heathersboers, Mar 14, 2011.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Songster

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I need some genetic advice here- Here is a brahma project roo- he was the only one that grew out this color in a pen of mixed brahmas, and the only one we have like this-We did this mix cross thing about 4 generations before we got him- I like his coloring, but dont know what color to call him or what to breed him to to reproduce it.... The comb is correct and he has great feathering on his shanks- anyone have any idea- he was basically a "genetic oops"that became a pet. he is a year old now- I would like to pursue this colouring.... Come on Rareroo and illia, and you other genetic geniuses, I need some help please!! he does have buff on his wings but it is hard to see in the pic

[​IMG]

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    hard to tell from your picture. what color (ion layman's terms ie: brown, black, tan) would you call his back coloring and some othe views would be helpful as well.

3. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    try him on dark brahma hens

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The color could be called Blue Birchen (with some gold in there too, that's not technically buff you see. . . ) however I'm sure what you're seeing is just Partridge x E/E extended black, or in this case, blue. How to reproduce it, umm, it is hard to say. This pattern pops up in a lot of crosses of solid blue or black with other colors, however the only way to get it to breed true is by having actual Birchen / Brown-Red colored birds around.

5. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    they call it blue partidge

7. heathersboers

heathersboers Songster

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Here is another pic- sorry- camera phone- Would breeding him to buff brahmas help any??

[​IMG]

8. chickendales

chickendales Songster

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    i try dark hen

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, yes, then there's trying with Dark Brahmas, however you'll lose the creamy yellow and get more white on the secondaries, if that's what you're eyeing for.

10. heathersboers

heathersboers Songster

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Lemon Blue Birchen ??.... Hmmmmmm.... What would it do with a light brahma? I would like to keep the blue and the golden coloring. I would bring blue cochins in the mix , but his comb is almost perfect, and i dont want to go through that one... .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: