Project: Carpenter's Wheel Medallion *COMPLETE! See post 71 *

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by speckledhen, Dec 30, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My grown niece requested a quilt and though I don't do quilts for family (they never seem to appreciate them or the work it takes), Ranee is an exception. She was floored that I would do one for her and says she will cherish it, pay me for it and is thrilled that I would one this for her. Of course, I don't plan to charge her for it--it's enough that she is someone who will truly appreciate it. Ranee is in her 30's and a long haul truck driver, lives in South Carolina. I see her only about once every couple of years. She picked out one medallion quilt I did many years ago in purples, lavenders, pinks and grays from a picture my DH showed her at Christmas. This one is not quite as muted as that other one, and not the same center star block, but I think she'll like it. I added sagey greens in there because it just seemed too monotone without another color for the purples and pinks to play off of.

Next will come a 5"-6" pieced border, which will take it to the side edge of my queen mattress. Not sure if simple 9 patches or Friendship Stars or Windmills or what will be a good one to do for that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

OOOO, the Carpenter's Square and the Wheel Medallion are truly an oldfashioned test of a quilter's skill and sooo cool!

Here are a few photos of one I did a while back. The block is placed in the upper left on the quilt top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In this photo, I'm applying the quilting pattern for the sashings. I'm still working on the hand quilting on this one.
    It's been a piece I come back to in between other projects.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  3. speckledhen

How neat, Kathryn! You are so much more talented than I could dream of being. I'm in awe of some of you ladies! [​IMG]

This is the next part of Ranee's quilt, the first pieced border. I love this primitive heart block--once made a cute baby quilt with it. I just hope I have enough of this background fabric to do the whole border! This was a good sized piece that came from goldenluver's stash. Each block is 5" finished size.

[​IMG]

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    The colors are so soft and lovely in this quilt.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ranee would LOVE it! I guarantee it that she will cherish and treasure it and take it on the roads with her in comfort!

6. speckledhen

Thank you, Robin. Here is one side of the border finished. Oh, thought I was dead in the water with that background fabric when I didn't have enough to cut anymore 3" squares for the center top of the heart, but I managed to piece a few 3" squares, so it will all match. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

That is a really sweet border block. I can see how it would make a lovely baby blanket.
    It's a timeless pattern that suits many styles of fabric too.

8. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Cyn, that is really beautiful! [​IMG]

Nanakat, yours is beautiful too. [​IMG]
    I am hoping to get back to work on mine after the first.

9. speckledhen

I'll have to decide about the corners, though. I ran out of background fabric. [​IMG] Used every piece I could till there were just strings left, LOL. Was considering doing solid one color or maybe the same pattern in darker solid colors anyway.

Here is the newborn baby quilt I made with this border block:

[​IMG]

10. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Very nice.

I will admit, however, that I clicked the link looking for a different type of medallion. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by