1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Hi,
    I know this is kind of a big project, but I had an idea that might be helpful to people with chickens coming into laying age (including me). Maybe in the chicken egglaying and behaviors section, we could make a sticky. It would show a general window of when each breed of chicken layed. Something like this (the numbers being the ages in weeks the chickens, subbmitted by different people):

Black Star

White Leghorn

Does anybody think this would be a good idea? It just seems like alot of people ask, and it might be a handy tool.
    Thanks!

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Mine laid much later than the breeder said they would. It would've been nice to see that others were that late, too.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I think this is a wonderful idea as well!

However, you may want to parse it down even further by Heritage vs Hatchery breeds. For example, a Heritage RIR is going to lay WAY later than a hatchery RIR.

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Great idea! We're making some changes to our system and hopefully in the next few weeks we'll have something that will make projects like this a bit easier!

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    that would be handy

6. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

My pullets (5 Light Brahmas and 5 Australorps) hatched May 14, 2011, laid their first egg on October 30. Don't know which breed was laying first. . . I suspect it was a Light Brahma as they were first to use the nesting boxes. By the next Sunday I was getting 8 eggs a day from my 10 hens.

May 14 - Oct. 30 = 179 days = 25 weeks plus 4 days to first egg.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by