Projects, colors, patterns...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cariboujaguar, May 4, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I am still learning here... I am facinated by peoples projects. Specifically colored orphs and colored marans... How do you guys get these colors? Do you cross orphs with other breeds who have the color you want then breed them back to Orphs and try to retain that color and keep the orph breed standard? What breeds do you use to get these colors, is there a certain breed you use to cross on certain breeds to gain those colors? I'm so anxious to start breeding on my own, but I need to know what I'm doing and what my goals are [​IMG] Does anyone have links to posts here or elsewhere or a website that shows their project as they develop it?
    thanks!

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are tons of "project reports" in this section--just look through the threads from the last month and you;ll find dozens.

3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Read 'Genetics of Poultry Colours - The Basics' at chickencolours.com

4. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    thanks guys! I'll check that out!

5. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Quote:What is an orph?

6. turducken

turducken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Orpington. Commonly known as Buff Orpington, but it sounds like they are conducting projects with other colors... pretty cool

7. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Quote:How do they gey orph out of orpington? I have seen all the "BO" "RIR" "OEG" abbreviations and sometimes have a bit of a time figuring those out. Is there a "standard" for abbreviations?

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:How do they gey orph out of orpington? I have seen all the "BO" "RIR" "OEG" abbreviations and sometimes have a bit of a time figuring those out. Is there a "standard" for abbreviations?

just a common mistake [​IMG] I used to say "orph" too for some reason until i realized it's spelled ORPINGTON LOL. For some reason I thought it was said ORFINGTON but now i know differently [​IMG]

9. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    heck I dunno, just what my friend always called them so I picked it up w/o realizing it...

So I just bought 5 cucko marans hens... I have found birds in my price range of:

Blue Birchen
    Blue splash
    Golden Cucko
    Black copper

So I'm still deciding what kinds to get, can you put any of these color roosters over the Cucko hens? I don't want to buy a cucko roo just for 5 hens so was wondering if I should just keep the Cuckos with one of the above colors I buy... Will they just be a 'mutt' or would that cross result in another kind of Maran... I don't quite get how all these colors are 'created'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by