Prolapse and maybe egg bound?

StephanieGA

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Found one of my older hens in the nest box this morning with an obvious prolapse. Never dealt with this before. Brought her in for a warm soak and applied sugardine (iodine and sugar mixture) to the prolapse. She is definitely trying to push. Is she also egg bound? When looking at her vent, you can see an opening in the tissue of the prolapse and also a smaller opening to the left. I'm assuming one is for eggs and the other for poop? I gently tried inserting a finger into the opening of the prolapse and could not feel an egg when in as far as my finger. She is now in my bathtub but she is in the crouched position like she is pushing. What is my next step and how often?

thanks
Stephanie

i saw a case where the gal squirted warm olive oil into her hen, and that helped...?

If you think that it is constipation (could happen if an egg was stuck too long, see if she laid one when the prolapse happened) Try a water and lube mixture instead, since that will penetrate the mass better and soften it. Constipation will be a hard mass, but not egg shaped, on her lower left abdomen, (her left, not yours)
Soaking in the bath is also great for this, keep her in for up to an hour. When she gets out of the bath dry her and lay her on a hot water bottle with a towel over it to keep it from being too hot. The heat will help her muscles for either scenario. Feel for a lump, and gently massage it off and on, taking care not to break the egg if that's what it is. Alternate between the oil, bottle massage, and bath......

When she passes whatever is in there, i have seen people use hemmeroid cream on the outside of the vent after they pushed the prolapse back in, to shrink the tissue back down. she will need to be separated from the flock for a day or so, until it heals or they will pick her to death.

hugs.gif
good luck and god bless.

No egg was in the nest box with her. She a game hen mix sort of thing and lays white eggs. She's never been a good egg layer but she is a good mom and has been with us for several years. We adopted her as a chick from animal control.

I wouldn't be as worried but she does seem stressed and is not eating or drinking well.

Stephanie

:( all you can do then is keep that area warm, and do the olive oil as this will help immensely. Try to massage it out, on the outside of her abdomen where the egg is, if you can feel it.

If you can feel the egg, and you can reach it from inside, you can try to put on some gloves and carefully help it out, but be careful if you do this not to break the egg. I have heard of people doing that on purpose and taking the pieces out, but it is a last resort as the shell can cut her inside. :(

Back
Top Bottom