1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prolapse chicken - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Monstertone, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I just came home from work and found my 5 month old Cuckoo maran with this injury. I'm guessing it's some kind of prolapse or something. Can someone tell me if there's any hope, or anything I can do?

I'll be checking this post in a hour or so...

thanks for any help.

Tom

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. Whatever you do. ISOLATE THIS HEN. The other hens will have her pecked hard because this is a "red injury". When others in the flock see blood or red they will start to peck and peck hard.

Bring her in and keep her warm. Some on here have had good success with prolapse. I know it involves a warm water shower so get ready for this.

3. Monstertone

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Thank you.

Anything else?

4. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    i know nothing of a prolapse, have never seen one but that looks really painful. i would certainly separate her as rimshoes says. surprised the others haven't already pecked on her. good luck.

5. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

OP - change the title of your post to read Prolapsed vent - that way people will know WHAT is wrong exactly with your bird vs. just "sick chicken"

I cant offer any suggestions as I dont know what to tell you to do, but I know if you change the title - it will catch someones attention that will know.

Good luck and I hope your bird gets better..

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

7. Monstertone

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    "OP - change the title of your post to read Prolapsed vent - that way people will know WHAT is wrong exactly with your bird vs. just "sick chicken"

I had no idea what was wrong with this chicken. These are the first birds I've owned, that's why I put sick chicken in title. I now know it is a prolapse.

I just went outside and started to apply some preparation H to it, to hopefully reduce the swelling, and noticed there are a bunch of tiny maggots on there now. [​IMG]

Is it beyond the point of no return?

8. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Awe geez.. poor girl [​IMG]

If you go back to your first post here... hit the EDIT button..then edit the title....

maybe that will get others attention, especially since she has maggots now.

my goodness..I'm so sorry. I wish I could help you...

9. Huston's Happy Hens

Huston's Happy Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Dewitt, MI
    Try logging onto the chat room - there are some very knowledgable people there - B&B Farms and Indiana hen -

10. Monstertone

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I went to the chat room, and the consensus was to cull it.

As much as I hate to, I guess that's what I'll be doing shortly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by