prolapse dealt with now not laying and moulting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheena, Oct 27, 2008.

1. sheena

sheena New Egg

Oct 27, 2008
    l bought my 2 chucks in june ' 16 wks old. All went well until about a month ago when one had a prolapse. Having read this site i duly pushed it back in with the help of honey. Worked wonders very happy chuck but not layed since. She is still very happy and eating however looks very emaciated and loosing her feathers. Is this the normal moulting i have heard about or could it be something else? her feathers also seem a different colour but this could just be because she is thinning - Help

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

What are you feeding her?
    She might be an internal layer.

3. sheena

sheena New Egg

Oct 27, 2008
    She has mixed corn, layers pellets and lots of kitchen scraps. She did lay before her prolapse but her eggs were huge always double yokers and the one before the prolapse we laughingly called an ostrich egg it was that big. What is an internal layer?

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Are you in the United States? (I ask because with the shortening of the days many birds are now going into molt)

5. sheena

sheena New Egg

Oct 27, 2008
    no i'm in the uk. The days are getting shorter and colder

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Then yes I think molt... stop diluting their nutrition by giving them extras (give scratch only after they have eaten at their main times of first morning feed and evening > I would cut out the table scra ps completely) Concentrate the nutrition with a supplement (there should be one for molting birds)

7. sheena

sheena New Egg

Oct 27, 2008
    Thanks for advice. New to all this so grateful for any tips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by