Prolapse?? Egg Bound?? Give up?? Pics...

mysweetpeeps

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
CT
My head is spinning!!! I have been reading post for hours and cannot figure out exactly what is wrong. I need a second opinion - beside the options given by the vet today (to operate).

PLEASE HELP! She is my favorite, of course it had to be her to get this!
hen – 5/6 yr old Blue Andalusian; 1 of 4 hens
feed - I recently switched to Nutrena layer, of which about 3/4 of the bag is gone.
normal - eating, drinking, actions
- comb full and red
started - don't know how long she had it because she acts normal! I do put them in a covered crate at night to keep warm and never noticed anything.
But, sometimes she is already in before I get there so then I don’t handle her.
abnormal - VERY pasty butt yesterday so when I washed her off I noticed a protruding vent.
- stands like a penguin when straining to poop
- poops seem normal, but at times there is just urates and urine discharging
- "vagina" is sticking out, and raw because of poop
- in early Jan, gave her, and her sister, Duramycin for few weeks because they weren't eating (that's why I switched feed) and because
their combs had shriveled down to nothing.
- did notice the litter in the crate would have areas about 3x3 that were wet. Just thought it was from poop or maybe from them laying on it all night???
Don’t know who’s it is either..
laying – don’t know for certain if she was laying before this point, but most likely was. Her sister also lays white eggs so it’s hard to say; the other 2 are brown and blue.
so far - soaked her in warm soapy water, massaged under belly and felt what seemed to be an egg. It did move up, but never came out.
- brought her inside the house last night, and she did lay on the heating pad.
- giving her Duramycin (that's all there is in our feed stores!)
vet - brought her to a vet (an avian vet). Said she felt a large mass, didn't know what it could be, but could operate.
Said the prolapse would keep occurring unless operated on.
- Depending on what I want done, operating will $200 for the prolapse; another $200 is I want something done with the mass, and $500 for a "spay".
But, it is a catch-22 and therefore the bill would be $900!!
- Didn’t clean anything, didn’t suggest what to apply, just sent me out with Metacam (liquid) which I know I won’t be able to get down her.

As much as I love this bird, unlike any other animal I have had, I cannot afford it.

I would like to know....
Is there something I can try, beside operate????? Can the prolapse be healed; will it reoccur? What is the best to clean it with??? What about put on it? Would liquid bandage be okay to spray on it after it is cleaned so the poop doesn’t reinfect it??

Last edited:
It doesnt really sound like egg-bound. It may be the beginning of prolapse. Just keep an eye on her and make her as comfortable as possible. Operation may be the best way to go, but thats not always the most efficent option for most people.

Last edited:
Prolapse is serious but surgery is not always necessary. Soaking in warm baths is good, and try to keep it as clean as possible with warm soap and water. Some folks have had great luck with applying honey to the prolapse as it helps to shrink and draw it back in. Several applications may be needed. I have read many posts where the prolapse was shoved gently back in(sometimes several times) and where others have left it to contract on it's own. I don't think I would use liquid bandage on it. Some use prep H. If it feels like an egg is stuck in there, you might be able to lubricate the area and try to gently massage it out.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES AND HELP!!! And, it’s nice to know someone is there between my episodes of crying.

I usually find all the info I need by reading other posts, but I need support with this one! So, it is taking me a little more time to figure out how to post.
I cleaned her off and gave her a quick rinse of diluted Mercuroclear, some PrepH and diaper rash ointment. Nothing would stick to the protruding flesh, but I tried getting Neosporin on it. Is there a power I could use that I could pick up at a drugstore? I didn't see the honey before I went out, but will try that maybe later.

Here are new pics of after I cleaned her again. Notice the liquid coming out… it almost constantly drips. The green on the left side of the protrusion is NOT poop – it is like a scab on her tissue… if you look at both back and forth real fast you can kinda see it. I trimmed some feathers near the vent. When I was cleaning her, she was able to pull everything in but then it came out again.

Again, I appreciate your help!!

(thumbnails)

Last edited:
If it is prolaspe... just take your finger and gently rub/pour regular white granulated sugar on it (about 2-3 tablespoons). The sugar makes the prolapse shrink and go back in. (within a min or so).... if this does not work.... i would not think the problem is prolapse. worth a try. VERY VERY good luck to you and your bird.

wanted to say , too, that my hen did this ( much bigger protrusion- size of a golf ball) --- I did the sugar thing once -- it shrunk immediately-- and I never had it happen again w. her.

Thanks for all the info!!!
smile.png
I put on the sugar and then the honey. She is holding the protrusion inside more! It sounds promising! I can't wait to see how she is doing tomorrow!

Did anyone have the scabbing issue like she has? Do you think that will heal okay?

I don't know all of the ins and outs of BC, but, can you go under my posts and see them all? I have a very lengthy post with what I did, how long I did it (2 weeks!) and the information from everyone else as well. I will say that I "successfully" treated it at one point and got a couple more months, but, we were one of the unfortunate ones in that the second time, although I treated it even more aggressively, we were not as lucky. It was a long process, but, I felt worth the try. I wish I could link it, but, I can't figure out how to. Let me know.

Thanks Newbiechickenowner for the info!!! I was able to get to the post... I just clicked on your name and it brought up the posts and topics, then I found it.

Sorry about your hen, though. It is so sad, but at least you know you did all you could. If there is any inkling of hope I will go for it! My husband thinks she is suffering and is not happy with me trying.

Could you clarify a few details? Did you just the PrepH around the vent? Did you put any inside the protrusion? Did you keep her in the crate most of the day? How much light did you let her have? You used vaseline and antiboitic cream together... did you switch to just using the anitbiotic cream? Didn't it seem like it was sticking though? I am afraid that it's not on there to stay for long.

I just looked at her today and she really hasn't changed much - she is still protruding alot. I let them out for a few hours today because I thought it would help her mentally, she HATES to be inside, but then she finds a perch and sits there for a while which isn't really like her. I will keep you posted!

Thanks again for the encouragement!!

Back
Top Bottom