Prolapse help/recommendations

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sog1997, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Yes cull her

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Do not cull her

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sog1997

sog1997 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    I have a 2+ yr old australorp who developed a prolapsed vent from trying to lay a very large egg. We got her unbound but have been unsuccessful in getting the prolapse back in. That was about 10 days ago. She was inside in our sick ward for 5 days and stopped eating after day 2. Decided to put her in the coop and see if she was going to be picked. She was not as she is one of the higher ups in the order here. She eats great, put weight back on, I keep cleaning her vent best I can. She laid 2 eggs with soft membrane (rubbery sort of). and hasn't laid again that I have seen. I brought her in again tonight and bathed her bottom. She will stay in until tomorrow mid morning. I took a picture of her last poo. Not concerned about it being abnormal. My concern is that she is leaking clear fluid from the vent. It seems like it is leaking because it is open. I thought she should be put down. My husband thought if we asked her she is fine with her droopy bottom if the alternative is her death. I want to do right by the hen. She does not appear to be in distress but for the frequent baths. We have dispatched sick hens as well as injured hens in the past. We don't like it at all but it is part of our responsibility. My query is are we doing harm by not dispatching her? If I can figure out how to add pictures I will. Thank you for your participation in advance[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.[​IMG]

2. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    First wash her with warm soapy water, then soak her bottom with episom salts and warm water, keep changing the water till it runs clear, look out for maggots If you see any pick them off. They burrow into the fresh but in try to get them all. (Wear exam gloves if you are grossed out)

When her bottom is thoroughly clean pat it dry. Then get your supplies together. Good there is no sigh of infection you need a tube of hemorrhoid ointment and a gauze 4x4. If there is an infection or maggots you will also need to make a past out of powdered antibiotics and some hemorrhoid cream.

Next, trim the nail on your pinky finger, wash your hands, you can put on fresh examining gloves. Hold the chicken to calm her for a while. Then get into a position where you can see her vent. You need to put the long tip included with the tube and put a big squeeze hemorrhoid ointment into het vent. Then push the protruding tissue back in wih your pinky. Go to about the first joint. When things are tucked in correctly you will feel the vent squeezing and relaxing all around your finger. It might take a few trys.

Let the vent pulse like this a few times then slowly remove your finger. As quickly as possible after your finger it out take the gauze 4x4s and apply firm pressure to the external vent for at least a few minutes. If there is any sign or suspicion of infection, spread the ointment mixed with antibiotics around and slightly into the vent. Let the hen hang out for 15 minutes or so...if it's cold outside and she is going out to the coop this is a good time look her over for mites and oil her legs and comb. I like too blow dry her feathers.

3. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Check her after 15 minutes, if she has popped out again tuck her back up and give her another internal squirt of cream.The hemorrhoid ointment reduces the swelling but it takes a while. Use the hemorrhoid cream twice a day. If her vent is staying in no need to soak unless she is dirty. If there is odor it's a sign of infection and she may need oral as well as topical antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by