Prolapse in Indian Runner

TwoDogFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have a prolapsed Indian Runner Duck and need some help. When I found it, I soaked her vent in warm Epsom salt soak for 10 min. Then I wrapped her in a towel and gently pushed the prolapse back in with KY jelly. It stayed in a first but then she pooped and it popped back out. So I tried again with Prep H. It stayed in a little longer but when I checked her again, it had started to come back out. I pushed it a little more up inside and put her down. She pooped again and out it came. I pushed back in one more time and put her in a small cat carrier in the dark. She sounded like she was picking at her feathers.

I have tried calling vets today but we have very few avian vets and no one is working after hours on a weekend that will see her. How can I make sure it stays in? How often should I check her to make sure it hasn't popped back out?

Here are some pics.

Before

After I pushed it in the first time

Last edited:
I have only dealt with two that were easily treated, but the OP has done everything correct so far. A prolapsed cloaca may keep popping back out, but as long as they are easily pushed back inside, it should be easy enough to push it in whenever you check on the duck. Hemorrhoid cream or honey are best to use to reduce the swelling. The red tissue should be kept moist with the cream or honey to prevent it from drying out and dying. To stop laying, which may further damage the cloaca or vent, the hen should be in darkness for 16 hours every night. If there is any black or dead tissue, it should be cleaned off or debrided with a cloth after a soak. Good luck with your duck.

I have only dealt with two that were easily treated, but the OP has done everything correct so far. A  prolapsed cloaca may keep popping back out, but as long as they are easily pushed back inside, it should be easy enough to push it in whenever you check on the duck. Hemorrhoid cream or honey are best to use to reduce the swelling. The red tissue should be kept moist with the cream or honey to prevent it from drying out and dying. To stop laying, which may further damage the cloaca or vent, the hen should be in darkness for 16 hours every night. If there is any black or dead tissue, it should be cleaned off or debrided with a cloth after a soak. Good luck with your duck.

Thanks. Any suggestions on how to keep the vent moist, especially overnight? Whenever we push it it, she turns and starts drying her feathers on her butt, which makes it pop back out. We have her in a small cat carrier thinking thr small space would discourage much movement. I haven't checked her since we pushed it back about an hour ago, but I fear it may have popped back out. She has settled down after picking.

I know that's just instinct so there may not be an answer for that. I am afraid there's not much I can do overnight.

Back
Top Bottom