1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

prolapse in new baby???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chadychick, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Chadychick

Chadychick New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    Hi I'm new here & pretty new to this whole chicken thing too. We inherited a coop & 2 adult hens a couple months ago & just got 2 day old chicks this past thursday. One of the 2 is red & swollen around it's vent. My dad who is a retired veterinarian thought it looked like a prolapsed cloaca but I can't find any info anywhere online about baby chicks getting prolapsed. Is it possible? Or is there anything else that this could be? She is acting fine but doesn't seem to be growing at the same rate as the other chick.

TIA for any info or ideas!

~W

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Could be prolapsed, especially if the chick was vent sexed.

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    If your dad is a retired vet, he'll probably have better knowledge than any of the rest of us. He can probably advise you on how to correct it too. In the meantime, if it is a prolapse you want to keep it as clean and moistened as possible.

4. Chadychick

Chadychick New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    Well, my dad was a cat & dog vet... doesn't have much experience with chickens![​IMG] He was putting neosporin on it periodically while he was here. Then I put a little honey on it a little while ago.

I don't know what "vent sexed" means. They told me at the feed store that they aren't sexed but that there is a 95% chance of them being hens. They are gold-laced wyandottes. My refering to them as "she" is just wishful thinking at this point! [​IMG]

Thank you for the replies. I will keep treating it like prolapse for now.

Will a chick with this problem so young even have a chance of surviving? Could it be the reason for her not growing like the other one is?

5. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I would say your doing the right thing
    you can put prepation H on it also
    just keep it moist
    they probably did vent sex them
    by this they turn the chick up so the vent is isable to the man's eye and male vents look one way
    and female vents look the other way
    probably was some one who was learning and they suspect the chick was damaged
    if they pushed too hard it would bring every thing out
    and probably is a female
    you can go to
    http://www.google.com
    put in
    vent sexing chicken in and read

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by