Prolapse in pullet

Auma

Chirping
Jul 18, 2022
I'm looking for advice or information on what's going on with my girl skye here. She has been laying for less then a week, but theyve all been large eggs. When I picked her up today to inspect her I found her back feathers a little dirty but she also pooped all over me at that moment. Anyways, upon further inspection it dripped and I seen what looked last a prolapse I think? 10 minutes later I go to clean her and check again and her back feathers are cleaned up mostly and there's no prolapse? Is that something that just fixes itself? I was preparing to manually do it until it wasn't there. But here's a few pictures and TIA!

Attachments

• 20220830_103314.jpg
    20220830_103314.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220830_103335.jpg
    20220830_103335.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 2
I wondered with the egg size, I have 2 RIRs laying and they started off with tiny eggs and now one is medium sized. But skye right off the bat had large eggs. And I assume so? We got our chicks from the store this spring

What you hen may be experiencing is intermittent prolapse while trying to lay an egg that is too large for her still developing pelvis to easily expel, so she strains, causing the cloaca to protrude.

Unfortunately, there isn't much to be done about eggs too large for a small girl to push out easily. It also doesn't bode well for her future as eggs get increasingly larger in the weeks following the first egg. It's doubtful she can hurry her growth to meet the challenge, setting her up for an almost certain episode of egg binding at some point.

Here is what you need to do if she prolapses and it won't self retract, indicating egg binding. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

What you hen may be experiencing is intermittent prolapse while trying to lay an egg that is too large for her still developing pelvis to easily expel, so she strains, causing the cloaca to protrude.

Unfortunately, there isn't much to be done about eggs too large for a small girl to push out easily. It also doesn't bode well for her future as eggs get increasingly larger in the weeks following the first egg. It's doubtful she can hurry her growth to meet the challenge, setting her up for an almost certain episode of egg binding at some point.

Here is what you need to do if she prolapses and it won't self retract, indicating egg binding. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
Thank you so much for the article! It's incredibly helpful and I will be saving this for the future!

Back
Top Bottom