Prolapse in six-month old Easter Egger

Shepshill

Songster
Feb 19, 2018
New Jersey
What is the dose for enrofloxacin in chickens? My six- mo Easter Egger prolapsed multiple times yesterday and I would like to treat her with enrofloxacin so she doesn’t get an infection of the reproductive tract.

Thanks.

What is the dose for enrofloxacin in chickens? My six- mo Easter Egger prolapsed multiple times yesterday and I would like to treat her with enrofloxacin so she doesn’t get an infection of the reproductive tract.

Thanks.
What do you have? 10% Liquid?

Baytril 10% liquid, the dosage is 0.05 ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 5-6 days.
*do keep in mind that Enrofloxacin is banned for use in poultry, so consider researching an egg withdrawal period.

Prolapsing several times at such a young age doesn't sound very good. Are the eggs too large? You may want to give her extra Calcium for a week to help with retention. 1 Caltrate with D3 once a day would be good.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Baytril 10% liquid, the dosage is 0.05 ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 5-6 days.
*do keep in mind that Enrofloxacin is banned for use in poultry, so consider researching an egg withdrawal period.

Prolapsing several times at such a young age doesn't sound very good. Are the eggs too large? You may want to give her extra Calcium for a week to help with retention. 1 Caltrate with D3 once a day would be good.

Thanks. Yes, I have the 10 percent solution. I agree that this does not bode well for her future. I don’t think her eggs look too large, though they’ve started to increase in size since she started laying on August 8. On Sunday, I noticed a small streak of blood on her egg. I worried when I saw that. On Monday, she didn’t lay an egg. On Tuesday, her hind end was a bloody mess when I let the pullets into their run in the morning, and I witnessed one of the other three pullets peck at the blood. I removed her immediately. She kept straining to lay, so I gave her a soak in epsom salt. She finally had an egg, but then prolapsed and continued straining. In the afternoon she had a second egg, this time with no shell. She prolapsed again after that. So far today, she has not had an egg and has not prolapsed. I took her off her grain yesterday in the hopes of interrupting laying. I am also limiting her daylight. I am not optimistic.

It has been a week without a prolapse. She has not resumed laying. I hope she takes a good long break from laying.🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom