Prolapse? Infection??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sobek, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Sobek

Sobek Chirping

Aug 12, 2018
    orlando florida
    It seems like her whole vent isn't swollen when she pushes out but only a "ball" tumor like area is swollen just happened less than 2 days ago she laid one egg I cut feed back so she would stop laying I treated it as a prolapse so cleaning and lube. I soaked her in soap cut some of the feathers she's a fighter so I'm going to have someone help hold her so I can better clean her up IMG_20181214_215823745.jpg
    Like I said when she pushes and it all extends out it looks like that ball is sectioned off to the right side of her cloaca so not everything is swollen and just a small ball

2. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Crowing

Mar 28, 2017
    If it is prolapse i used cortizone cream, vetericyne spray, i put on gloves and gently pushed back in then i saw that the pressure was coming from right above the vent so it was reccomended to me to use vet wrap, bc the prolapse kept getting pushed out I wrapped it right above and below the vent, around the body under the wings for 2 days and it worked

For fighting hens, you don't want her to exert herself so for me I calmed her by lightly wrapping a towel around her including her head so she couldn't see I try to talk soothing lay her on her side and in the towel it's not tight but she can't move either so I work quickly putting her upright to give her breaks and make sure she's not too panicked or having breathing issues by being on her side it's just how I worked it and my hen has been fine for about 3 months since

TropicalBabies and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Have you soaked her in warm water? I use a foot tub. Most hens will relax after a few minutes. Once you get it Clean you can apply some preparation H Oitment to reduce swelling and gently push it back in and hold.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is that exposed tissue hard? Do you think there is an egg in that or is it just swollen tissue?

I agree, giving her a soaking in warm epsom salts may help, but if she is a fighter, then that can cause her to strain more. If soaking her causes distress, just place her in a steamed up bathroom.
    Keep the tissue moist with anti-inflammatory cream, hemorrhoid ointment, etc. you don't want that to dry out.
    Cutting back on feed may help with stopping laying, but she also needs limited light. Keep her in a darkened area and only let her have light for about 8 hrs a day. Light (and hormones) is what stimulates laying. It can still take several days for them to stop.

5. Sobek

Sobek Chirping

Aug 12, 2018
    orlando florida
    Yes low light no egg is stuck she layed one today.

TropicalBabies and Wyorp Rock like this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That's good!
    You always worry if an egg is going to get "stuck" when they are prolapsed.

Keep tissues moist, give her a soaking a couple of times a day if she is agreeable.
    Swelling is going to have to go down in order for it to stay in.
    She does need to be drinking well, have extra calcium and be eating.

I hope she gets better soon, please keep us posted.

7. Sobek

Sobek Chirping

Aug 12, 2018
    orlando florida
    Okay so... It came off and yeah IMG_20181215_171717792.jpg

TropicalBabies likes this.
  8. Sobek

Sobek Chirping

Aug 12, 2018
    orlando florida
    IMG_20181215_175508239.jpg

TropicalBabies likes this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tomorrow, can you get a picture of her vent again? I haven’t seen anything like that come off in pics before—it looks kind of gross. Do you see anything that looks like maggots? Hopefully that was just necrotic tissue.

TropicalBabies and Wyorp Rock like this.
  10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Agreed!

TropicalBabies and Eggcessive like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: