Prolapse maybe? HELP

Hornetkc5

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Oakwood
I went out to the coop today to find one of my pullets with a dirty Bum. So I gathered all the things I needed and set up a cage in the garage its attached to the house so I don't have to go far... Hubby draws the line with the chicken in the house so I have her out there! Anyway I soaked her Bum and cleaned her all up. Blew her dry. When I was cleaning her her bottom looked a lil red and I thought I could feel an egg right near the opening but Im not sure anyway. First time chicken mommy. so I set up a 60watt bulb in a desk lamp right in this huge dog kennel with shavings a lil roosting blocks food and water. I went back to check her and she was on the perch with her butt facing me it had a lil white what looked to be poo comming out and a quarter size red red bubble the bubble goes in and out Im so scared she might die every hour I've been out there checking on her! sometimes the bubble is there and sometimes its not.. Im not sure if she layed an egg today because I have 4 white leghorns and she is one only 3 eggs today! I bet she didnt though! I have been getting a huge white egg every other day. She is eating and drinking. She is not showing any pain nor crying or looking sad cause she has no others with her. The light is still on but its night Its her heat. Should I set up a heater near the cage or leave the light on? what else can I do for her vitamins will be in the water tomm at noon when I get home from work! Please help!

Not an expert but here goes. Is there tissue actually hanging out of her vent? Or does it look like she is trying to push and that is when it the "red bubble" is visible? I have seen this or what I think you are saying with a few of mine. The first time one of my brown leg horns layed I thought she was going to prolapse. I saw white as well which ended up being the egg. She took a very long time to lay the egg. One of my BA today looked very red and swollen and it was just a matter of her getting the egg out and then she was back to normal. How long has this been going on? Could it be that she just has a very large egg? Maybe someone else could chime in on this but if that is the case maybe some kind of lubricant could help her. I know not much help but I know the times when I have seen mine I started to panic a little and then all was fine.

I meant to add a picture or two would help greatly.

Last edited:
seems as when she is pushing but looks as if feathers may be missing around her butt and not so clean again tonight. tomm after work Im gonna takr pictures. Last check tonight she had made a nest in the shavings and was sitting quietly, I just thought she would be upset not to be around everybody! I did shut off the light and I hope she is ok for the night its about 60 in the garage so hope she is ok. I thought the light should be off couldnt see her bottom as it was in the shavings. I sure wish she would sleep though her eyes are open and no peeps out of her! Its like a bubble when her little vent is contracting. She only looked red last night while on the roost this morning I noticed the red bubble but its not there all the time!

Last edited:
Please post pics when you get a chance. It does sound like mine when they are pushing. So again like I said before maybe a large egg or maybe getting egg bound? Doesn't sound so much like prolapse to me. Not an educated idea, just thoughts.
smile.png

I went out to check her nothing but a clean butt and a small egg. I'd be taking a picture of nothing but a normal butt. Guess she was just straining. Normal poop eating and drinking so Im gonna put her back with the other girls for now!

Back
Top Bottom