Prolapse of oviduct Help; needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by knowles, Feb 15, 2014.

1. knowles

knowles New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    I have a chicken with this problem. She just started laying eggs and lays very large ones. Have followed advice for cleaning and replacing the prolapse. Prolapse continues to come back out, and its been three days. Possible problem is that I do not know how far to push prolapse in afraid I will injure her further. Used sugar like one site gave directions to do.for first few times and prolapse still looked healthy. Last night used honey. Today prolapse has a white crust on it. The prolapse itself still seems soft, so not sure if the honey just coated it. I know honey has been used for decades as a natural antibiotic. Desperate for advice. Hen is only about 4 months old and we just got her along with 5 other hens 2 months ago.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I just finished up with one of my EEs with this. Her prolapse was hanging out about 1/4-1/2" purple in color. She has just started laying again for the winter and became prolapsed.

I cleaned her up, dryed her off, then used local honey all over the prolapse. Oh I still had her wrapped in a towel with her hinney exposed, she was comfy. I then with fingers from both hands worked prolapse back in, used finger in the opening inserted it inside and with other hand pushed it back in. It was about an inch or a bit more that my finger was inserted inside. Like checking for an egg. I held it there for a few minutes then removed finger and prolapse stayed. After her first poo about 1/2 hour later a bit came out, applied more honey and pushed back in. Held it in from outside for a few minutes it stayed in place. This continued on for 12hrs checking her and holding it in, this one wasn't diffiicult at all.

Other difficult hen that scared me with prolapse took 2 days to get it back inside, it was out further and looked like a mushroom cap stuck to her butt. It did not want to stay in, I tried honey, sugar, preparation H. Finally resorted to a pressure diaper to hold the prolapse inside. Taking it off every few hours so she could poo. Used large gauze, vet wrap, around chest under wings to her butt in a figure 8 pattern. She had a fit at first but left it alone. It worked, I was afraid I'd have to cull her she is my pink egg layer. Digger is back to normal but keep an eye on her.

Considering how large an egg is compared to a finger, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC Knowles. Sarevan, it is always nice to hear of someone's personal experience. It's much better than giving someone a link to read. Knowles, from many that have posted about prolapse, I think it is common for them to come back out for a day or two. Just push it back in to where it normally would be , and hold it in for awhile with a rubber glove. Some people recommend giving epsom salt warm baths to clean up poo or debris on the vent. Here is the link with pictures about a pressure diaper to hold in the prolapse: http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx

4. knowles

knowles New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    Thank you so much for the post. Sounds like I'm doing things properly. last night did put sit her in a warm mild soap bath and cleaned her up better, then pushed prolapse in further while she was standing rather than rolled on her back and held it it for about 3 minutes, this seemed to work better. This morning it looks like it is going to stay in. thanks again for your input.

5. knowles

knowles New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    Thank you also for adivce. We did try the bandage, but that was a disaster. Even though I followed step by step instructions, it didn't work and was hanging every which way down around her the next morning. My biggest concern was that the prolapse had dried out because it looked so white and crusty, I was praying it was just all the honey and preparation H that was applied. Will see what another days does for her. Prolapse is just slightly peeking out this morning. Fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by