Prolapse on 1-week Buff-Laced Polish Chick??

Hockeymom23

Hatching
Feb 2, 2016
My son has been keeping some of our new chicks in a brooder in his room. He is very responsible and is doing a great job. I looked in and spent some time with the chicks today, and noticed that our buff-laced Polish had a yucky bum. Nothing I took notice of before, as I would have thought it was just some poop on her bum.

This is a large mass. It's not wet or goopy in the least, and does look like a large poop. But it's so large, and is taking up a broad space of her anus/vent, I'm not sure what is going on.

Most prolapse pics I've seen have red, goopy prolapses. This is not. It's very dry.

She is active and eating/drinking fine, you would never know there was any kind of problem. I've tried moistening it to remove it, but I fear for causing a problem that would harm her. (Even though we realize if it's a prolapse there is nothing more we can do)

I'm concerned she may not be able to poop at this point, as maybe it's blocking?

Is this a prolapse??

She is pasted up pretty bad, so you really need to soak her bottom in a small container of warm soap water for 10 minutes or so. Keep the water warm by adding more. put on some rubber gloves and rub the mass of poo with the dish soap, and it should soften. When you get it off dry the chick and get it back under the heat. Take another picture then. It may just be constipation, but vent prolapse does occur in some chicks. sometimes from constipation, dehydration, and too much heat, but also due a birth defect. If you have some molasses or Karo syrup, give it a couple of drops orally with food or water to give a laxative effect. Make sure that it is drinking well.If there is a prolapse, add honey or preparation H cream to the vent to help reduce the swelling. Also putting probiotics in the water, or adding a small amount of plain yogurt to their feed a couple of days a week may help to promote good intestinal health.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom