1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prolapse!Please Help !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsMax, Aug 9, 2013.

1. MrsMax

MrsMax Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Hello everyone, newbie here!

This is my first time having a flock of chickens. Yesterday morning , I noticed my New Hampshire hen had "dirty bottom" so further inspected and it was a prolapse without a doubt!....Her vent was not as red as I've seen with other prolapse cases , nonetheless it was protruding out and pulsing . I quickly cleaned her up and used running water to clean the area .After that I dried her up and as per my online research on other poultry forums , I used Preparation H on the prolapse.The good thing was that I isolated her before the other chickens would start pecking at her. I called vets in my local area and no one here does chickens!!! Frustrating, right? I would think living in a country town , you would find a vet specializing in livestock animals!... Any further advice?, id greatly appreciate it !

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You are doing the correct treatment. Here is a link explaining prolapsed vent and treatment.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

3. MrsMax

Jun 16, 2013
    @ten chicks; thank you for the link and your response . So far I can say that the prolapse seems less inflamed than yesterday when I discovered it ! it isn't pulsing as much and its "trying" to stay in ! thinking of getting her some yogurt to get some good bacteria in her system !Really don't want to lose her !

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds as if you are doing a good job treating her. The only thing that I would add would be to keep her in a dark place, and only give her feed once in the morning, and then once again in the evening. You want to discourage her from egg laying. Also, the thing that worked when one of my chickens had prolapsed vent was a nice long (20-30 minutes) soak in warm (90-95 degree) water. That helped her relax, and the prolapse slowly shrunk back in. That was on the third day of her being prolapsed. I also tried putting honey and Witch Hazel on the prolapse, but that had no noticeable effect.

Good luck with your hen! Keep us updated.

5. MrsMax

Jun 16, 2013
    @BantamLover21, Thank you ! As soon as I received your response I retired her to a darker and calm area of the house ! I must also add that I will be leaving her to soak a little longer ( I was originally doing 15 minutes)....She definitely felt more relaxed today when it came down to cleaning her !I will definitely keep you guys posted !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by