Prolapse. Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christie22701, Mar 11, 2015.

1. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I have a hen with a prolapse and I'm worried. Since last night it has gotten dark around her vent. I don't know if it's infected or she was pecked during the day. I bathed her again and will leave her inside tonight and tomorrow in a dark room to allow her to rest. I applied Preparation H. Can anyone suggest anything else? How long should I leave her inside?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You really need to push the prolapsed tissue back inside as soon as possible, since the longer the tissue is outside, the more it can dry out and beocme necrotic (or dead.) Hold it inside for 10 mintues or so, if you can sit and hold them. It make come back out, but it should eventually stay in when swelling goes down. Prep H is good, and honey is also very good to help reduce swelling. Keep the vent clean (epsom salt warm baths may help once a day, as long as she is inside and warm.) Placing in a darkened room or cage for 16 out of every 24 hours to stop laying can help. Sometime reducing the amout of protein in the diet also helps with stopping laying. Not every chicken with prolapse can be saved, especially if the prolapse keeps happening, but some hens do recover with care.Here are some good links to read:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
    http://beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm

3. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I appreciate your response. You always give good advice. There is minimal tissue outside the vent. But it is oozing. I am applying Preparation H. So in keeping her in the spare bedroom in wire dog crate. Would you advise no scramble eggs? Maybe just cracked corn and water? Thanks for the advice on holding the vent in 10 minute increments. I appreciate any advice. There was a bit of blackness around the ring of the vent but I don't know if his was from other hens pecking her or maybe onset of infection. I do not feel this a severe case at this point. I can't figure out how to upload pictures. Probably because I have an iPhone. UGH [​IMG].

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In the following pictures, the first prolapse is very healthy skin, while the second picture has a bit of necrotic or dead tissue. The third picture shows a very bad prolapse that has dried out, and later the chicken died. With a dried out prolapse, epsom salt warm soaks daily with some debridement or scrubbing off of dead tissue may help chances of survival. If she is not eating, then egg would certainly be good to feed her.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    [​IMG]

6. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    The above picture is what I just took. It was obviously uncomfortable for her to mess with her backside. I put honey on her. Gave her some cracked corn, which she ate. Offered water which she declined. Turned the light off and said goodnight.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  7. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I don't know where the purplish "brushing came from. Unless she got pecked by other hens today while out in the yard. It was not there last night.

8. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I meant to say "bruising". This morning her bum looks the same, still inflamed like the pic I posted. Should I bathe her again? I reapplied honey, she is very sore and does not want me messing back there. I fed her a scrambled egg and she ate that and a bit of cracked corn. Wasn't much interested in water. Her poop looked fine from overnight.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Prolapses can invite pecking by the others which can injure the vent area. I would just try to keep the vent clean after she passes stool, but an epsom salt bath once a day just to the vent area would probably be good. Her prolapse doesn't look that bad like some pictures I have seen. The dark color does look like bruising, and bruises can also be green.

10. christie22701

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    How do I give an epsom salt bath just to that one area?? I'm trying to picture that,LOL. She's just so sore. And she flaps her wings everywhere and...and...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by