Prolapse question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by armistel, Dec 19, 2016.

1. armistel

armistel New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Hello all. Fairly new chicken owner here, and just made this account to ask for an opinion from some veterans. One of our chickens has a prolapsed vent. But as I was bathing her and cleaning it off, getting ready to try and push it back in, I saw this shown in the photo which doesn't appear to just be crusted up poop or anything, and appears to go into her. Any idea what this is? Wondering if she has actually pushed out part of her intestine or something, or if I just need to soak longer and work whatever this is out. Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]

2. armistel

armistel New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    Any input here? Gonna give it another shot tonight. Anyone ever had or heard of a prolapsed chicken pushing out more than just the cloaca?

The more I think about it, the more that seems silly that a portion of her intestine would have come out, but really don't want to torture her.

Thanks.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for the late response. How is she doing? Welcome to BYC. A prolapse can start out with the cloaca coming out, but more bowel tissue can follow. That doesn't seem to be what is in your pictures though. It looks more like droppings or perhaps an egg membrane covered in droppings. The red tissue does look normal. Sometimes there will be some white material or urates, and occasionally some dark tissue that can be necrotic or dead. Treatment for a prolapse is to keep it moist with honey, KY jelly lubricant, or hemorrhoid cream, and to push the prolapsed red tissue back inside. Google "prolapsed vent" and read The Chicken Chick's link. Keep the vent area clean with a daily soak in epsom salts or clean soapy water, and dry thoroughly. Make sure that she is passing droppings. Check inside the vent for a stuck egg with one finger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by