Prolapse Question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ZedR, Jan 2, 2017.

1. ZedR

ZedR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    Central PA
    Any idea what cause a quail to prolapse? I just lost one to this.. poor thing. I misdiagnosed it and now I feel terrible.

It just happened to another one of my girls. I was cleaning some dried dung off her foot and it happened. Once she calmed down it went back in and she's been fine for the past 3 days or so.

Just curious if there are any known causes.

Thanks ... and Happy New Year!

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I *think* dehydration can be a factor, so can age but definitely having them lay year round will predispose them to prolapse.

There are some tips to help it like after its back in to keep them calm and dark for a time afterwards but I am not certain - sorry I do t have experience with it myself (yet) and sorry to hear about your girl :/

3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Calcium deficiencies are also supposed to be one of the main causes, but I have no experience with it either..

4. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    What percent of protein do you feed your females? :eek:

5. ZedR

ZedR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    Central PA
    I'm feeding them Dumor Chick Feed 24% with about a cup of meal worms every night for the extra protein/fat (it's gets pretty cold).

They have a constant supply of oyster shells provided through two feeders.

6. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    High protein has been linked to an increase in prolapse occurrence in laying hens, the mealworms sound like a great treat hehe maybe get them on a lower protein "layer" game bird feed? I think most layer feeds also have other added things to help hen health :)

7. ZedR

ZedR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    Central PA
    Thanks! I could drop to 18% or 20%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by