Prolapse scab?

Hinerhen

Hatching
Jun 6, 2023
My chicken started acting weird about 5 days ago. She was by herself and seemed to be pushing. Upon inspection she has a prolapse. When I found it there was already a scab on the prolapsed portion. I washed it off immediately by soaking her in epsom salts and used vetricyn and aqua fore to get it back in.
In the last 5 days I repeat the process once a day and she seems to push it out about 4 times daily.
I have started to see some of the scab come away from the prolapse and fresh skin underneath.
I also started her on an anti inflammatory and an oral antibiotics from the vet. Since being inside. 5 days now. She hasn’t laid an egg and hasn’t eaten much. She drinks and will eat a handful of corn. But isn’t interested in much else.

Is there anything else I can do?
Is it too late? Has it already done to much damage? I was hoping to see improvement by a week so she could go back outside but that definitely isn’t going to happen. Attached is some pictures of it tonight after her 30 minute soak.

Attachments

• 1D8E3AA6-2813-487A-B2D2-EBA5BCD3F0DF.jpeg
    1D8E3AA6-2813-487A-B2D2-EBA5BCD3F0DF.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 7615951A-A185-438A-9EC4-B63F9D5171D9.jpeg
    7615951A-A185-438A-9EC4-B63F9D5171D9.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 12
  • C9828D83-C076-4826-A04A-C426B66B42D5.jpeg
    C9828D83-C076-4826-A04A-C426B66B42D5.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 12
Welcome To BYC

Daily soaks like you are doing are good. It's a must to keep the tissue moist with your oil/ointment or honey.

Provide her with extra Calcium which can help with retention. Calcium Citrate with D3, 600mg daily. Just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow.

Welcome To BYC

Daily soaks like you are doing are good. It's a must to keep the tissue moist with your oil/ointment or honey.

Provide her with extra Calcium which can help with retention. Calcium Citrate with D3, 600mg daily. Just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow.
Experiencing similar retention challenges. I do a Epsom salt soak, use honey to help her get her prolapse back inside and then within about 5 to 10 minutes she's got it back out again. I thought natural anti-inflammatories would help shrink it and make it easier for her to pull it in on her own. I appreciate this advice of calcium for retention. Do you think personal egg shells or oyster shells I used to give in her diet daily would also help?

Experiencing similar retention challenges. I do a Epsom salt soak, use honey to help her get her prolapse back inside and then within about 5 to 10 minutes she's got it back out again. I thought natural anti-inflammatories would help shrink it and make it easier for her to pull it in on her own. I appreciate this advice of calcium for retention. Do you think personal egg shells or oyster shells I used to give in her diet daily would also help?
The oyster shell is always a good thing to keep available, but a calcium citrate 600 mg plus D3 is helpful with a prolapse or egg binding. It can take days or a week or so for some prolapses to remain in.

Back
Top Bottom