1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prolapse survival

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pdxwes, Oct 22, 2011.

1. pdxwes

pdxwes New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    The 2nd of my two issues is a RIR with a prolapse:(

I found her late yesterday afternoon with an egg literally stuck to her bottom, caught in the tissue.
    I removed the egg, cleaned things up, and based on reading from this site put honey on the prolapse and shoved it back in.

I have been shoving it back in every couple of hours (except overnight) and it keeps coming out. I've put a little honey on each time and added olive oil a few times as well.

She is pooping, but that then just messes everything up.

She has not laid an egg today.
    She is in a small dog crate in the garage with a sheet over the top
    She ate a scrambled egg earlier today.

My most direct question is: what are the odds of survival and any ongoing productivity. Is this effort a waste of time? These chickens are egg laying pets, but I see no reason to needlessly put this chicken through pain if she is going to catch an infection and die.

Secondarily, is the treatment really to just keep shoving the prolapse back in until the chicken either retains it or dies?

Thank you
    Wes

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I've had 2 hens at different times that have had a prolapse. One finally got well after about two weeks, the other one kept prolapsing, so I had to finally cull her. Just make sure you keep the prolapse clean the best you can. I always put Prep H on my hens when they prolapse. Hope she gets well.

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
  4. pdxwes

pdxwes New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    I've read all the posts and my only question is one that was asked, but I didn't see answered.
    If the prolapse keeps reoccuring (even minutes after being stuffed back in) should I immediately clean things up and stuff it back in?

We've used honey and Prep H. Hoping for some progress.
    Hen doesn't seem particularly out of sorts.

While I'm not quite sure why I'd incur a vet bill for a chicken (other than the fact they are the kids pets), I guess if things don't get better by Monday I'll take her in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by