Prolapse vent or muscle damage????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chief, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Chief

Chief Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Figures my husband goes out of town for work, and this happens!!!

I am new to chickens but do have some knowledge about them. I have never seen this before. I would like some advise of what I should do.

I go out this am to feed, and this is what I found!! I separated her, cleaned her. She did lay an egg that was covered in blood. She is in with 2 other hens, I have been collecting either 1 or 2 eggs everyday from this pen. She is still acting normal, eating, and her color is good.

To me it does not look like a prolapse vent. Maybe a swollen or torn muscle? The top part of the vent is swollen, you can see her contract the vent, but the top part does not move. Not sure if the bleeding has stop, but there are clots. She did have a BM, that looked normal. Sorry about the pics, it is hard to hold and take a pic!!

Any advise or information will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you! Jamie (chiefs wife)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chief

Oct 17, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I forgot to say that she is about a year old.

3. Chief

Oct 17, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    anyone out there that could help?

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I would clean her up with some warm water and isolate her, even if it's in a laundry basket or cardboard box in the garage. If anything is out try pushing it back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by