Prolapse while laying an egg

gkeesling

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Hagerstown, IN
I went to get an egg out of the box today and it looked like the inside of a chicken came out with the egg and the egg was wrapped in it. I think that means one my chickens prolapsed when she layed the egg. Does this sound like that's what it was? I think I know which one it was. She had droopy and wet feathers around her vent. Can anyone tell me if her egg laying days are over? I would think she's done now but not sure. She is about 1 1/2 years old.

Can you check all your hens to see if any have a vent problem? If a hen has a prolapsed vent she may be a target for being pecked (sometimes to death) by the rest of the flock due to the red color. I've read that in rare cases an egg will have some tissue over it and may not be from a prolapsed vent. A picture would really help!

Quote:
Yep, I was just going to say that...a couple months ago someone posted about finding a gross fleshy looking thing in their nest box. Everyone was fine...???

If it was a prolapse it would still be connected to the chicken. Sounds like somebody had a glitch in the egg factory. Can't really be sure with no picture, but if you've looked them all over good and don't see anything that's probably what it is.

thanks for the info. I can't take a picture because I threw the thing away. But, there wasn't anything attached to the chicken so this probably wasn't a prolapse. I did find one hen (leg band #7) thad had some wet feathers around her vent right after I found the egg with the stuff aound it, so I think it was her. She looks just fine, and I can't see any others that are having a problem, so it looks like it was just something that came out of her egg making parts. Mainly I was wondering if she would continue to lay. I suppose I'll just have to mark ol' #7 good on the top and watch to see if I see her on the nest.

my black hen (dont know breed) is in proccess of laying first egg and looks like she has prolapsed her skin is acting as a "sling" around the egg what can i do to help her ive bathed her in warm salted water,used waterbased lubricant round vent area now in coop resting shes 27 weeks old hope this doesnt kill her or put her off having eggs

Back
Top Bottom