Prolapse won't stay in

cheapcheepcheep

Songster
7 Years
Jun 18, 2012
Littleton, MA
Hi,
Yesterday when the chickens were loose in the yard, I noticed one of them was standing stock still over by the coop. There weren't any hawks around, so I was confused (the others were acting normal). I went over and it looked like poop was stuck to her butt, but when I picked her up, it appeared that this was actually a prolapse, and the poop was a red mass of her innards. I have taken her inside and I put honey on it yesterday, and bag balm today. Each time I tuck it back in, but I'm pretty sure it pops right back out as soon as I put her back in the dog crate. I will probably try an epsom salt soak today, since that is another thing I read about on here. If it won't go back in, is this the end for this chicken? Or will it eventually stay?

I've got her in a dog crate in the dark so she stays still. She doesn't seem interested in eating though, and I can't say I blame her. I'm not so hungry myself after all this.

Any suggestions or words of comfort welcome.

Just got back from visiting my parents for Easter. She laid an egg, and the prolapse is of course back out, but not any worse than it was (but obviously not good). I'm going to attempt a soak. I tried this with a bird with vent gleet a while back and it didn't go that well. My bucket could be bigger. Will try this and report back.

Last edited:
Was able to soak her in epsom salts for about 10 minutes before she put up too much of a fight. Got it tucked back in, but I'm pretty sure it's back out now. Tried blow drying her, but she started to fight after a while there too. Have her in the dark in the crate with a small heater on low to try to keep her warm and dry her off (not too close, not trying to roast her). I guess I'm liveblogging this now.

Back
Top Bottom