prolapse

hayfever

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 6, 2007
Arizona
Hi everyone! I am new to raising chickens. I have been checking out this website since I started in January with 6 chicks. Everything has been pretty good so far till my one Aracauna started laying. Her first egg was blood streaked so I freaked and examined her bottom. Looked like prolapse so I did the prep H thing. She laid again and was fine. Now she is prolapsed again and looks worse. Is it normal for clear fluid to be leaking/dripping out of hens vent with a prolapse? Besides this happening she is pooping/eating fine. Could it be something else going on?

Last edited:
Leave the chicken be. Things like that happen to a young chicken, sometimes even an older bird will have blood on the egg. Think of it this way, a woman having a 20 lb. baby. A little over the top but think about itm her first couple of eggs, eomething has to give. Now I have been around chickens for over 50 years and I have never heard of anyone using prep H on them. I may be wrong but I think that stuff did more harm than good, I really think you are licky you didn't kill the poor thing.

Success with prolapse is said to be difficult but I have a survivor in my coop. Most will say to wash it with lukewarm water carefully and use Prep H and gently reposition the prolapse.

I had very little to work with when mine prolapsed. I used cold water and cleaned her as well as possible and trimmed her vent feathers so she was easier to keep clean.

I covered the prolapse with honey and repositioned it. I had to do that twice a day for a couple of days, sometimes it would stay for a couple of hours....sometimes not at all.

I put her in a dark cage with her food and water, reducing her food intake slightly in hopes of stopping her from laying. She didn't lay for a week, which was enough time for her to start healing. She stayed in the dark cage for an additonal week. She is fine now and back with the rest of the flock.

Good luck with her.

Well thanks for the support. I have her separated from the flock cause they started to pick at her. I must of not had it dark enough cause she laid this morning again. It is really hot here in AZ 110+. I cleaned her up and put her back and she is not so happy being separated. I suppose this is a wait and see what happens. Oh did I mention she is my daughters baby? I am trying to keep her confortable with ice.

Hayfever? How is your daughter's chicken doing today? Mine did have clear/white and yellowish fluids draining until the prolapse stayed in place.

Thanks for asking Verthandi. Today her prolapse was out again. Looks like less drainage. I cleaned her up and no egg today so far hopefully she wont lay. I plan on keeping her away from the other girls for awhile. What do you think? How long till your prolapse stayed in place? Also how did you handle it?

Glad to hear she is still doing okay. I washed and replaced the prolapse a couple of times a day and returned her to a fairly large cage with a heavy blanket covering the cage so there was no light. It was cooler here when mine prolapsed. Is it okay if I email you? I'm pretty sure I kept a journal of her treatment if you would like it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom