1. kmenchicks

kmenchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Ohio
    I had a chicken get a prolapse last week. I believe that it was due to over eating. My 13 chickens were eating 20 lbs of feed plus snacks every 4-5 days. I've changed the way I feed them to hopefully prevent it from happening again. I have been using honey on her and reducing it 1-2 times a day plus spraying her with blu kote. I recently removed her from the coop to move her into a darker location so that she doesn't lay. She doesn't seem to be getting better. She doesn't act like she's in pain and acted normally when in the coop. Is there anything else that I can do other than taking her to a vet and how long should I treat her before giving up and culling her (I really am hoping that it doesn't come to that)?

2. kmenchicks

Feb 10, 2012
    Ohio
    I brought her and soaked her in warm soapy water again today. The prolapse seems to be getting bigger and now it has hard areas. I'm guessing the tissue is dying. I've tried to keep her clean in the dark and changed up the food to stop her from laying but nothing's working. I think I may have to talk to my son tomorrow (it's my 5year old's bird) about culling her. =(

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I'm so sorry to hear this - I used honey on my girl and her vent was much smaller after applying this - have you tried Preparation-H? I don't have access to it here but I am told that it is very good in helping with a prolapsed vent.

My girl also had problems with the vent becoming harder - she had expelled about 4" - quite large.... I will say however that I did cull my girl reluctantly, she was also on antibiotics but began to go downhill so I did what I felt was best for her - I did not want her to suffer.

My thoughts are with you.....

Only you can make a decision based upon how you see the situation

Suzie

4. kmenchicks

Feb 10, 2012
    Ohio
    I hate to cull her because she acts fine. It started out as just a small red ring and now it's probably about 1/2-1" of red ring. The problem is that she pushes it back out as soon as I push it in. She doesn't act like she's in pain so I hate to cull her, but I'm not sure how long I should let it go on. The other chickens had not been bothering her when she was in the coop, but she does get poop on her feathers now and she would bleed when she would lay an egg. She hasn't laid or bled since I've removed her from the coop and changed her light and food.

5. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would venture to say that you keep trying to help her - I kept mine for quite some time - she finally gave up on me - I resolved to help her and keep her for as long as she had a will to live. I gave my girl a warm bath every day and applied lots of honey - it is hard work but hopefully your girl will respond - I wish you luck!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

6. kmenchicks

Feb 10, 2012
    Ohio
    Thanks for the encouragement. I hate to cull her. Maybe we'll see how long she stays looking healthy. Do you think I should continue to keep her separate or return her to the coop?

7. lovinchicks

lovinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Hey, I know you! LOL. I read yesterday about someone using the preparation H, and that worked really well they said. give that a try.

8. kmenchicks

Feb 10, 2012
    Ohio
    Well she seems to be enjoying her bubble bathes as she fell asleep in it this am. I followed it with the preparation H and she did push part of the herniation back out, but not all of it. Hopefully this starts working.

9. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would suggest that for the time being that you keep her separate from the others just in case they peck at her vent - if you can find somewhere relatively dark - so much the better!

Good luck!!!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

10. kmenchicks

Feb 10, 2012
    Ohio
    Thanks for the advise. She suddenly recovered. I kept her in the sick pen for two more days and then moved her back to the coop and she seems happy. I'll keep a close eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by