1. Girly Girls

Girly Girls Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2014
    Three days ago my RIR laid a completely shell-less egg, no form, like someone cracked open an egg and dropped it in the nesting box. Now she has a round red hemorrhoid looking thing handing from her vent. What do I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you get a picture? That sounds like a prolapsed vent or cloaca. She may have been or currently is egg bound. Sometimes it occurs without egg binding. Take a rubber glove, and insert a finger 1 inch into the vent to check for a stuck egg. Lubricate the red tissue with water soluble lubricant such as KY, and try to push the prolapse back inside. Preparation H ointment or heney i good to apply to the inside and outside of the vent to reduce swelling. Place her in a dark room or cover her cage for 16 hours of every day, and reduce her feed (but not water) to help stop laying over the next few days. Here is a good link or two on prolapse:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
    http://beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Girly Girls

Girly Girls Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, that seems to be a prolapse. Is she passing droppings? Can you feel inside the vent for an egg--it almost looks like there could be one stuck? Does the tissue feel soft or hard? Remove her from the coop and bring her inside in a dog crate. If you have calcium (as in a Tums or human calcium tablet, I would give her one crushed in food or cut in half and given orally. If she is egg bound, also the calcium can help pass the egg, but I would also place her in a warm bathroom or put her in a warm shallow bath to help pass the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by