1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. JoanieMay0223

JoanieMay0223 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    Maine, USA
    I have a OEG that started a prolapse nearly a week ago. I have her in the house (we live in Maine) where it is quiet and warmer than the chicken house with a heat lamp, it has been very cold here. I have been treating Josie with warm Epsom salts compresses, then antibiotic ointment ointment and the usual cure, Prep H. She had a crust form on the end of the prolapse,some of that has come off with the soaks. She is able to make droppings. However, there is a white liquid dripping from the opening, it does not look like pus, but rather like the white in a runny dropping. It has a kind of ammonia smell. She seems to be feeling good, talks when I am there in her sweet little cooing voice. She is drinking very well, but her crumbles do not seem to be going very fast. She is eating some scratch. The prolapse goes inside some, but when I take her out of her cage to clean her up and put the meds on her it protrudes some. I have had and successfully treated prolapses before, but did not have this white runny stuff dripping from them. She is about 3 +/- yrs, hasn't been laying but did lay a good sized egg which I am pretty sure started this prolapse. Is there more I can do to help Josie, she is a special little girl.
    Thank you for any help or advice you can give me. Joan [email protected]

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    She may also be suffering from vent gleet...I would suggest you look up the symptoms to see if she may have this...

As an aside..I use honey which also has anti bacterial properties for a prolapse..

It may be a good idea to post a photograph of her vent...other people here will have alternative suggestions...

Good luck to you both!

3. JoanieMay0223

JoanieMay0223 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    Maine, USA
    Thank you Suzie, I will look that up. I have never posted a pictured....computer illiterate I'm afraid!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by