Prolapsed and necrotic vent. Advise needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Digin66, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Digin66

Digin66 Hatching

Jan 13, 2018
    We are two years into back yard chickens with only 6 hens. we are in day two since we noticed our Rhode Island Red had a prolapsed vent. We separated her and have been treating her with daily epson salt baths, iodine rinse, neosporin, and hemorrhoid cream and we are keeping her in a warm dark coop area. Her vent has stayed back in for the most part but she continues to leak white poop from around her vent with some poop coming out. Yesterday poop was pellet like and today little runny. My major concern is the large amount of necrotic tissue around the vent. The vent still is sticking out about 1/2-1” but that is because it is mainly dead looking. She is eating and drinking but not to active. Constantly pushing but fortunately when she pushes it is not prolapsing. The advise I need is if she makes it through will the necrotic vent tissue fall off and regrow or should we just throw the towel in for her sake now.

2. Can you post a photo? I think it depends on how much and where exactly the necrotic tissue is. Generally speaking, I think necrotic tissue on a prolapsed vent does not usually have a favorable outcome. Sorry. I could definitely be wrong, so I hope someone else chimes in.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. Digin66

Digin66 Hatching

Jan 13, 2018
    45579E9F-5B0A-42DB-AB8C-31F0D695984D.jpeg 8A1712FE-ABFC-46EC-AAAB-8B2007AE475C.jpeg Best I could get in the dark. I can post better tomorrow if needed. Basically the white around the vent is all seeping poop and under it is dead back tissue.

4. Is the dead black tissue inside tissue that has prolapsed? Is an avian vet an option? Sorry not to be of more help. I can’t see the necrotic tissue.
    Also, when was the last time she laid an egg? Wondering why she’s pushing.

5. Digin66

Digin66 Hatching

Jan 13, 2018
    I will post better pictures. I would say it has been about 4-5 days since we noticed a decrease in the standard number of eggs. She has been isolated with less than 12 hrs of light a day for going on three days today. We are monitoring her and a vet is not an option. This site has a lot of great advise so I figured I would turn to the community. I have felt for an egg or blockage and I feel nothing.

sylviethecochin and micstrachan like this.
  6. UrbanChiclets likes this.
  7. amunk01

amunk01 Songster

Jul 20, 2014
    OKC
    I haven't dealt with a prolapse vent, but leaky white poop sounds familiar.. any way she has a secondary infection of vent gleet? Does the white discharge smell awful? Just a thought. I'm sorry about your bird. Better pictures may help when someone knowledgeable on this chimes in. Good luck!

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Firstly, you are doing all the right things so far.
    Better photos are definitely necessary to give us half a chance of figuring it out, ideally taken right after a bath so there is no poop blocking the view and with her feathers trimmed back or at least pulled back. Trimming the feathers and greasing her clean dry skin with an ointment will help prevent poop from sticking and help irritated/damaged skin to heal.

Like @micstrachan my concern would be what caused her to prolapse too and that may be more of a problem than the prolapse itself or even necrotic tissue. It is unlikely that she is egg bound if it has been a couple of days and you cannot feel anything upon internal examination. Possibly a shell less egg as that can cause them to strain heavily, she may have salpingitis (infection of the oviduct) which causes pus and egg material to form into masses (often referred to as "lash eggs") in the oviduct which are lumpy and usually block the oviduct. It may be that she has been internally laying or has a tumour that is causing a constriction of her gut or even a heavy fat deposit. Some of those might explain the white seeping poop too. It might be helpful to give the inside of her vent a good lubricate with ointment or something like coconut oil or plenty of the prep H cream, in case there is a shell less egg or lash egg that needs some help to come out.
    Can you examine her carefully and see if you can feel any unusual swelling between her legs or around her vent, other than the actual prolapse.... feeling adjacent hens when they are roosting is the easiest way to do this so that you can directly compare one to another and better detect what is unusual. I just cup my hand and place it between their legs on the roost. You will also feel if any are unusually hot if you use bare hands.
    Does she feel significantly heavier or lighter than her flock mates?
    What is her body condition like? Feel her breast area.... does her keel bone feel quite sharp under the skin and feathers or well padded... again compare to adjacent chickens.

How old is she?
    What do you normally feed them including treats?
    Is she near top of the pecking order and therefore perhaps gets more treats than the others?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  9. Digin66

Digin66 Hatching

Jan 13, 2018
    A4C77107-F1CB-4BB1-AFDC-049DF3A8A851.jpeg
    She is resting after her spa treatment this am. Epson bath and a lot of the necrotic tissue I was able to cut away to good blood rich tissue. We treated again with iodine, antiseptic ointment cream and prep h. Once the majority of the dead tissue was cut away the vent closed up and the tissue went majority of the way back in. She is eating scratch and combination of pellet and crumble food like usual. We will continue to limit light. We mixed in yogurt and scrambled eggs for her this am and she is pecking away at it. Her appetite is still here and drinking. Her poop is more normal looking and not pellet like. Still seeping the white goo which I guess could be vent fleet which I know nothing about it.
    She is almost 2 and is right in there with the others when they are eating so I don’t believe she is hen pecked or at the top of the order. They eat a handful of multi grain scratch daily with pellet and crumble mixed Purina feed. Table scraps are fed once in a while.
    She is The only red we have and has always been smaller but I felt around and she seems lighter. Her keel bone feels very pronounced and is not padded well. No abnormal areas under neath and no swelling.
    We will hedge on and go day by day and take any more suggestions especially if this vent gleet is suspected so suggestions there would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

sylviethecochin and micstrachan like this.
  10. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Is the green stuff on her vent the ointment? It is good that she is eating.
    I have to say, as regards the prolapse, it does not in itself look too bad and you have done a great job cleaning it up.
    If she is very lean in the breast then I would be surprised if she is laying. Hens do not have the means to produce eggs if their body reserves are low, so that pretty much rules out an egg causing the problem. Cancer can cause them to waste away and a heavy worm burden could too. A bad worm infestation might cause her to become impacted and strain causing a prolapse. Have you ever wormed them? I am not personally a fan of routine worming, so don't feel that that that question is a criticism, if you haven't wormed them.... just trying to figure out the possibilities. If she has been wormed recently, we can at least rule that out.

UrbanChiclets and micstrachan like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: