prolapsed butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fratmor, Jun 25, 2011.

1. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    My welsumer who is 6 months started to lay about a week ago yesterday i found her in the egg box with her butt hanging out of her body .Like a big red cherry .I wet out and got some perperation H put on my rubber glove added some prep H and stuffed the cherry back into her butt .she was fine the rest of the day. this morning again the same routine she layed her egg today regular size egg. does anyone know what else I can do?will she get better. or do I have to cull her before the rest of the girls eat that big red cherry hanging out of her butt.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I would keep using the PrepH for a few days and give it time to shrink everything back up.....Keep a close eye on her, and keep pushing it back in....Sometimes it can take a little bit to correct itself.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    You don't need to cull her if she is still eating/drinking, since it's not catching. I've had 1 hen that recovered well from that situation, and another one that died from it, probably due to internal bleeding after one of the eggs. I even read to use honey on it to get it to go back in, but it always seemed to just prolapse again with the next egg, or with them straining.

4. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Honey works really well. I'd keep her away from the others until she's laid a few eggs without prolapsing again though, so she doesn't get that prolapse pecked at. Give the honey a try, and the Prep H time to work- no need to cull just yet! My little prolapse hen just went back out with the flock, after a week or so of pushing that prolapse back in and putting new honey on. She's laying normally now. Good luck!

5. fratmor

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    Quote:Am I using the honey on her butt with the prepeation
    H or am I feeding her the honey!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  6. fratmor

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    does any one else have any advice. I didn't get to many responds.[​IMG]

7. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Honey goes on her bum not in her mouth. [​IMG]

8. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Get her in a dark room to stop her from laying. If you can help stop her from laying, her prolapse won't get pushed out since it goes east time she strains to push the egg out. I either put mine in the halfbath with no window or in the basement. You can keep a low light in there so you can see what's going on but the darker is better. Keep treating her with honey or Prep H.

9. fratmor

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    thanks to all who gave advise I used the prep H for about a week and she is fine now .she is actually the friendliest now of the three that came from that brood. I feel that she became closer to me when she realized I was helping her.she would scream when she prolapsed,and I would run out with the prep H and push her back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by