prolapsed damaged vent blood egg inside crack the egg? PAIN?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newbiechickenowner, May 13, 2010.

1. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    OK...so my hen is prolapsed and I am treating that since last night...separation in the coop, antibiotics, honey, cleansing, push it back in (though it comes right back out), etc, but, now, when I pushed it back in this morning (and still came right back out), I belive (I am a novice) that I can feel a hard egg way inside of her....if that comes out....won't that be really bad? Should I reach in and try to break it? Or just leave it and let nature takes its course and continue with the honey, sugar, cleansing, etc? Also, this morning, when I went to touch it she jumped. Yesterday, she seemed completely unbothered by it...today..>I am wondering...can she feel the pain? will they squack if in pain? She seems OK..... but, I don't want her to suffer either. How do you all judge the pain signals? what are they? should I crush the egg inside? Thanks!

2. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    OH and yesterday when I was feeling around inside after pushing and holding it in....I did NOT feel this "egg".

3. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I don't know. I'm new to chickens, but I hope this bump will get some one who knows something to help you. Good Luck.

4. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    oohhh....the poor thing laid her egg....still prolapsed...not worse though. Gosh that has to hurt!

5. dawnchick

dawnchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    There should be lots of info in the Emergencies section. Personally, at this point I'd crush it, since she evidently can't pass it, but you have to realize that broken egg shells can cut them. I'd soak her in a tub of warm water that covers her vent to help her pass the thing, with or without crushing.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I know she's already laid her egg today, but for future ref. you do not want to break it inside of her unless there is no other option. It can lead to infection and she can cut up her oviduct if you are unable to get all the pieces out.

Try to keep her crate dark, that will sometimes retard egg production so she doesn't have to go thru this everyday. If she's eating well you might also try to lower her protein intake for a few days by feeding scratch or some other low protien filler. You don't want to do that for a long period of time, but it should be fine for a few days. Eggs take a lot of protien to make, so if she's on a low protien diet she may stop/slow laying so she can keep that protien for her own bodies needs instead of using it for egg production.

7. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    Thanks for all this great advise. I so hope to save her....I saw a couple of success stories on here on another thread. I hope we end up being one. Preparation H and a topical antibiotic are on the way and will get that done tonight. I did the honey a few hours ago and did sugar earlier. I will drape her crate and c hange her food when I head out. I hope she doesn't get too stressed, although, I kept the rest of the girls in the outside run today so that they weren't free ranging so she could at least see them out the side of the crate out of her coop door...

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How is she doing? [​IMG]

9. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    Thanks for asking. This morning she is basically the same. I don't think it is ever going to go back in. Now it is like half of it is a hard ball and there is NO tension on her vent. It is like a gaping hole once I push the stuff back in. I was able to stop the egg cycle so far. She is eating and drinking fine. She is very docile because she has been in this crate now for so many days. It is almost like it is healed, but this is how it is going to be.....what do you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by