1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prolapsed egg and uterus- hen in shock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by roostrong, Dec 29, 2013.

1. roostrong

roostrong New Egg

Dec 29, 2013
    Hi,

I am new to the forum and have had Pekin Batams for about 2 months.

One pair have just reached POL. One has cruised it, the other informs with a prolapse and egg hanging out about 3 hrs ago.

Following advice from a vet on the phone we tried all sorts but eventually broke the egg and spent 45 mins fishing out shell. I am fairly happy I removed it all and the prolapse is now staying inside.

The hen is resting on a towel on my knees in the sun (winter in the uk but sun through the window).

Is there anything I can now do for her and should I keep her in and in the dark for a few days. And does dark mean pitch black?

Many thanks,

Roo

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

If her uterus is indeed prolapsed and coming out her vent, you can push it back in and apply some preperation H to it. That will help reduce the swelling and help keep it inside. And no, not pitch darkness, but some low limited light will help. Only give her about 8 hours of daylight and keep it sort of low light at that. This will help keep her from laying for a while so she can heal. Meanwhile, keep her warm and comfortable.

When she gets back to normal, make sure she is eating enough layer feed and has oystershell available at all times. Don't over do the goodies so they fill up on things instead of calcium rich layer feed.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. If she is overweight cut back on the feed. Try to darken her environment for a minimum of 15 hours daily. Good luck.

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Wow, what a great effort to help that hen! Hope it all works out.

Welcome to BYC

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

6. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Good luck with your hen, hope she recovers. You could try posting on the Emergencies board also.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

A Big X2

gander007[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by