Prolapsed hen need advise please

lilofthestars

Songster
8 Years
Oct 9, 2015
I have got some great help from this website. Which I really appreciate. I have a Brahma that had a prolapse and I kept her in the house for maybe about 6 hours so she wouldn't lay an egg and she still laid her egg. I've been bathing her and epsom salts and I put some honey on it. She's been cluckin a long time so I brought her in gave her an Epsom salt bath and put honey on it which I found out as a natural antibiotic and I noticed that it looks like it was slightly infected. Very hard to keep her in the house I don't know what else to do. Only have three chickens two brahmas and another chicken. I believe I'll have to bring her in so the other chickens don't peck at her. I tried holding the prolapse in but it doesn't seem to stay it's not really really bad I'll have to get a picture and post it. She's my favorite Brahma she jumps on my lap and just sits there. I've been giving her plain yogurt with a little coconut oil and some cod liver oil. And just lay or pellets. Any help would be greatly appreciate it. It seems kind of mean to keep her on that dog crate or she can't walk around but I guess it's better than her getting an infection. And I just want to say that she has a large backyard that they running all fenced and so she has plenty of exercise. This is been going on for about 3 days yesterday was fine the day before my other chicken had the same problem but she doesn't have a prolapsed thank God I caught it in time. We'll this is the fourth day. I have been soaking her in the tub with some Epsom salt. I put some witch hazel on her and she didn't like that I guess it hurts so I put her bottom back in the tub. I kept her in all night long I let her out about 12 this afternoon. I have one main chicken and she was talking at her so I put her in the coop she has a large run for a couple hours and then she's the one that's hurt with a prolapsed started clucking really loud like she was hurt jumping on the chair . I brought it back in So during the tub cleaned out her dog crate put her back in there and put some honey on her she seems to be happier she's not clucking. Yesterday I held that prolapse in for 5 minutes it's pulsating like a heartbeat is that normal? I gave her water with some vitamins in it I've been giving her yogurt with some cod liver liver oil and some coconut oil in the morning. And I also gave her a little corn with a little layers pellets. Am I doing things right is there anything else I should do how long does it take to heal. I've been studying quite a bit too. But through the study and I have not learned quite a lot. I did find out about the honey being a natural antibiotic and holding in the prolapse. And of course all the good advice I've got off this site from you wonderful people. Please any other advice or let me know if I'm doing something wrong or right would be great. I added two pictures from yesterday. the one picture was taken after I put the honey on it I should have waited and took it after I gave her the bath.

Attachments

• 20180222_175905.jpg
    20180222_175905.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180220_174550.jpg
    20180220_174550.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 9
Calcium supplements, Vetericyn, Preparation H or hydrocortisone cream, and perhaps an antibiotic if you see signs of infection are things you might want to add to your treatment arsenal.

Also, if the cortisone or Prep H fail to shrink the tissue, you might want to try to fashion a "diaper" and sling to keep the prolapse from slipping out. It takes time for the tissue to revert to normal.

Here's a wonderfully inclusive tutorial on treating prolapse. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

There's a possibility that trapped poop just inside the vent is preventing the prolapse from shrinking. You might try putting a little pressure on the sides of the vent to make sure there isn't poop trapped inside. If there is, clean it out, spray with Vetericyn and she should start shrinking back to normal after that. But she will need to be watched as this may happen again. Calcium supplements may help if a calcium deficiency is responsible for this unfortunate event.

Thank you so much. She seems to be getting better I let her sleep in the coop tonight I've been watching her all day though. And I did give her an Epsom salt bath this morning before I put her out and dryer real good. I will keep you updated and thank you again Lillian

Back
Top Bottom