Prolapsed Hen--What to expect now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedheadErin, Feb 4, 2012.

1. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    One of our hens has a prolapsed vent. We found her this morning like this, and took her to a friend who has birds to look at it. Their advice was pretty much, keep her comfortable and hope for the best.

So we gave her a warm water bath, squirted a little warm honey on her, and put her in a trusty cat carrier in a dark room with a heater. She has water now and we will give her some whole-wheat bagels and cabbage in a little while.

My son keeps asking me, will she make it? I have told him i can't say for sure, but I really don't think so. This looks bad!

This is what's happening: The vent is obviously prolapsed. there is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch rim of red flesh around the opening, and it protrudes about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch from her body. She keeps squatting and straining like she is trying to lay or poop or something. It really looks like a human sitting on the toilet and straining! Otherwise, she walks around normally, eats, scratches, and acts like she is fine. It looks like she is trying to pass something, and there is a long gooey string of what looks like bloody egg goo hanging out. We tried to gently swish it off in the warm water bath, but it won't wash off easily and I hate to pull or prod too much, for fear of hurting her further.

So, are we doing the right things? Is there any ting we can give her for pain? The friends suggested Tylenol, but i heard that is toxic to birds. What might happen next and how do we know when it is time to give up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by