Prolapsed hen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by VickieB57, Oct 25, 2013.

1. VickieB57

VickieB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    This morning I noticed an egg hanging from one of my hens. I thought she was in the process of laying it, but she never did. It just hung on her. I went to take a closer look and noticed blood on the egg, so I took her from the cage and into the kitchen to see what was going on. I realized she was prolapsed and I tried to carefully push the tissue back over the egg. There wasn't any way I could do that, the egg was just too large. Enough of the egg was passed through that I could use my quail egg scissors and cut the bottom of the egg and carefully emptied it (my daughter was helping me) and then I was able to pull the egg shell through. I was careful to make sure none of the raw egg touched her. Afterwards I put a topical antibiotic on the prolapsed tissue.

What is the proper procedure when something like this happens? I had no idea what to do. I have put her in a cage by herself until she is healed. I did not try to push the tissue back in. Should I have? We were hoping it would pull back in on its own.

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    If the prolapse is slight you can press it back in, be sure you wash your hands well in a antibacterial soap before and after handling the hen. Then, using a bit of olive oil on your fingers, apply gentle pressure on the prolapse pressing it back into the vent. sometimes a bit of hemorrhoid cream will help to shrink it. If it is serious take her to a vet asap. be sure she is in a clean cage with NO shavings as they might stick to the vent area. keep her alone for a week or even two get a chance to heal and rebuild her strength. good luck and keep us posted.

3. VickieB57

VickieB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    She seemed to be doing well by the evening. Yesterday morning she was also doing great. I had to go on a trip, and didn't get back till after mid-night last night and found her in the same shape as the morning before. I decided to cull her. :(

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Probably the best for her. sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by