Prolapsed Oviduct - 2 Hens, 1 Day Apart

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gotweim, Jan 25, 2011.

1. gotweim

gotweim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    HI Everyone~

This is my first time posting and I feel bad it's on the ER list but I do need some help/advice!

I had a hen pass away this morning from a prolapsed oviduct. This was the first time I had dealt with this and noticed it way too late and we lost her this morning. (RIP - Buttercup! We'll Miss You!! [​IMG] )

When I found her yesterday she was standing outside of the hen house not moving an inch with her head tucked in. She wouldn't go in the hen house because the other hens were pecking at her. I brought her in our garage and tried cleaning her up and applying Preparation H. Things looked tiny bit better this morning but when I went out to get my daughter off the bus I found that she had passed away.

Now I am completely paranoid and I checked everyone else's bottoms this morning! I found one of our Rhode Island Red's looked to be prolapsing as well. This looked no where as bad at Buttercup, just looked like a little hemorrhoid sticking out. I had read a ton of information yesterday and it had said to just gently fold it back in and that it should stay in. I tried and it didn't. I applied some Preparation H to her as well and just went back out to check on her and it looked worse than it did this morning but still not as bad as Buttercup.

I have now brought her in the garage to keep the other's from pecking her and I'm optimistic with her because she is still acting perfectly fine.

What is going on that this could have happened to 2 of my hens at the same time? Am I doing something wrong?

They are all 7 months old and began laying around 20-24 weeks. I feed them Purina Layena Pellets and mix in Granite and Oyster Shell. They also get our table scrapes but never any meat. None of them are heavy by any means and their eggs aren't overly large.

Is this just a fluke or should I change something to my routine or regimen?

Also, what else can I do to help Shiny recover?

Thanks for all your help!!

2. KimM

KimM Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    I'm sorry to hear about your hen. I lost one to a prolapse also. I actually ended up taking her to the vet because it was (of course) my son's favorite chicken. He couldn't do anything for her because I had waited too long and the prolapse had dried out and the tissue was dead (she had a full, huge prolapse- I mean everything was hanging out). Since then, I have learned that you need to keep any prolapsed tissue moist- if it dries out it dies.

He also said, that if she had had a smaller proplapse and I had brought her in before he may have been able to put in some stitches that would have helped to hold it in. Don't know if you want to go that far..but figured I'd mention it if things get worse. A friend told me you just need to keep pushing the prolapse back in, holding it for a few seconds each time. Eventually it is supposed to stay in.

I wouldn't think it was anything you are doing, it just happens. The only thing the vet mentioned to me was calcium- but it looks like yours are getting that. Good luck, hope it turns out alright!

3. gotweim

gotweim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    Thank you so much! [​IMG]

I know what you mean about the favorite chicken!! Buttercup wasn't the favorite but still very much loved....now Miss Barb...I need to find a glass house for her!

Now that you have mentioned it...maybe Buttercup didn't look better, it was probably dried out and that's why it wasn't as red as it was yesterday.

How did you keep it moist...did you use anything other than the Preperation H? I also have Bag Balm (square green tin) and Badger Balm. Would either of those be better?

4. KimM

KimM Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    We used prep. h alternated with honey, which I had heard was good- though it was very messy, and in our case didn't help. I'm not sure about the other things you mentioned...I hope things are better today!

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I feel for you so much [​IMG] Last month I lost my favorite hen to this very thing - everything was hanging out. I tried my best to clean it and put it back in but of course I couldn't. I had my neighbor's cull her for me because I just couldn't. I had a hen over the summer with prolapse and the preparation H and honey things worked for awhile but eventually she completely prolapsed and passed away because the others picked her. All I can say is keep trying and keep them isolated. I know that is hard to do but I learned the hard way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by