Prolapsed turkey hen - how to treat?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Feathyr, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Feathyr

Feathyr Songster

Aug 21, 2014
    Idaho
    My year & a half old BR hen finally recovered from a -bad- injury due to breeding... and, last night, I learned she has a prolapse. It's always something, isn't it? :barnie

It's about 3/4 inch long, no blood that I can visibly see. She does not appear to be in any pain and / or eggbound - she is in high spirits and otherwise behaving (and looking) normally. Feels good enough to hiss at me when I try to catch her, lol. Only off-sign is a white/greenish poop that she's had for a couple of days.

How should I go about treating this? It has been several years since I've had to treat a prolapse. It may be related to dehydration - we're starting to have typical summer temperatures, but I've made sure have constant access to clean, fresh water.

2. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post some pictures of it?

R2elk likes this.
  3. Feathyr

Feathyr Songster

Aug 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Yikes, I didn't mean to let this thread die... sorry, had a busy week dealing with other stuff and didn't pay much attention to BYC.

Her prolapse healed up the next morning - not sure why it occurred, all I can think of is she didn't drink enough water. I've been keeping a close eye on her just in case.
    All's well that ends well!

casportpony and R2elk like this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks for the update and glad she is better!

Feathyr and R2elk like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: