Prolapsed turkey hen - how to treat?

Feathyr

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 21, 2014
Idaho
My year & a half old BR hen finally recovered from a -bad- injury due to breeding... and, last night, I learned she has a prolapse. It's always something, isn't it? :barnie

It's about 3/4 inch long, no blood that I can visibly see. She does not appear to be in any pain and / or eggbound - she is in high spirits and otherwise behaving (and looking) normally. Feels good enough to hiss at me when I try to catch her, lol. Only off-sign is a white/greenish poop that she's had for a couple of days.

How should I go about treating this? It has been several years since I've had to treat a prolapse. It may be related to dehydration - we're starting to have typical summer temperatures, but I've made sure have constant access to clean, fresh water.

Yikes, I didn't mean to let this thread die... sorry, had a busy week dealing with other stuff and didn't pay much attention to BYC.

Her prolapse healed up the next morning - not sure why it occurred, all I can think of is she didn't drink enough water. I've been keeping a close eye on her just in case.
All's well that ends well!

Back
Top Bottom