Prolapsed vent? Eggbound hen? UPDATE: We had to cull her.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by magistradomina, Mar 10, 2012.

1. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    Is this a prolapsed vent?
    [​IMG]

She keeps wanting to push something out. I don't feel an egg. The green mucus is where the vent opening is. I gave her a warm bath so the vent won't dry out and to relax her. I've tried to gently push the vent back in, but she keeps pushing it back out. What else can I do?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. magistradomina

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    Thank you!

P.S. I'm not afraid to put her down, but I don't want to if I don't have to. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  4. magistradomina

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    We couldn't get her vent to go back in. She kept pushing it back out. Poor girl.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am sorry for your loss.

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I am sorry about this. You have to do what's right at the moment. We were able to save our prolapsed hen, but it took a lot of time and patience. Ours continued to eat and act as though she had nothing wrong except this big bulge out of her vent. She is now happily laying an egg a day, but we ended up having to separate her from the other hens and put her in a different coop. She probably was so low in the pecking order, she had no access to oyster shells.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  7. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    You may want to get an autopsy in case it could be a decease that is in your flock. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by